• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC "Explosion" from my youth...

7 posts in this topic

Came across this in a recent purchase. (I think Flash #266) I started collecting at age 12 right when this was being hyped. Back then it sounded so cool. I still love this era just for sheer nostalgia while mixing in my older business-sense. Back in the day, I bought the Batman Spectacular new only to get rid of it in the mid-80's when I wasn't collecting. Since have bought it again though it cost more than $1 lol I think the Showcase Deadman run ended up in the Dollar Comics Adventures. (Which I have and love.) I wonder what that Showcase Deadman original art cover would be worth or if it even exists? Not sure if Demand Classics was produced? 

image.png.678c0fb40934dba09ae90a093c3a2996.png

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I wonder what that Showcase Deadman original art cover would be worth or if it even exists? Not sure if Demand Classics was produced? 

image.png.678c0fb40934dba09ae90a093c3a2996.png

Cover and story/art were finished for the Deadman story in Showcase 105, along with cover and story/art for the Ditko Creeper story in Showcase 106. Both stories were published in the in-house DC Cancelled Comics Cavalcade that a DC editor put together after the DC Implosion. I enjoyed this period also and was shocked when the books were cancelled.

This was also my favourite DC period... I was 10 or 11 and spent weeks looking for books like Demand Classics.

Last year, TwoMorrows published a book called Comic Book Implosion: An Oral History of DC Comics Circa 1978 which is well worth a look if this period fascinates you like it does me.

11 hours ago, Brock said:

This was also my favourite DC period... I was 10 or 11 and spent weeks looking for books like Demand Classics.

Last year, TwoMorrows published a book called Comic Book Implosion: An Oral History of DC Comics Circa 1978 which is well worth a look if this period fascinates you like it does me.

Thanks for mentioning the twomorrows book! Had no idea they had written on this topic. The preview section included on the site was great reading, have a copy on the way to the house now.

11 hours ago, boomtown said:

Thanks for mentioning the twomorrows book! Had no idea they had written on this topic. The preview section included on the site was great reading, have a copy on the way to the house now.

Ditto!