• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series window bag location and signature variations

3 posts in this topic

sorry if this has been asked before. Ive been searching but haven't found anything. 

I saw a post of a Spawn #1 black and white SS I was interested in purchasing where Todd signed in the negative space between the title and Spawn’s shoulders. He also signed it “T. Mcfarlane” instead of Todd. 

The discussion progressed into members claiming the value was diminished because not only the location of the signature, but that Todd abbreviated his name. 

It seems strange to me that these details matter so much. I can understand not wanting a signature over Wolverine’s face for issue 1 of the mini-series, but I thought the signature was, for the most part, centered and legible. I’m also not sure why it really matters how a creator signs their name on a book. But now my confidence is shaken. I feel like these factors matter a lot more than I thought, and I am wondering what the community thinks.

Do these factors matter? How much do they matter, why do you think they do or don’t, and if so, how do they affect the value of a SS comic?

Thanks for your time, all!

Personally, as long as the sig is verified and placed in an unobtrusive “sweet spot”, I’m cool with it as I would just add it to the collection for the cool factor of having an artist/writer’s sig but I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a Hulk 1 with Kirby or Lee scrawled across the big, grey face on the cover. I don’t think it devalues the book so much as lowers the desirability when it’s written across a character’s face since there are probably enough copies of any given signed book nowadays to satisfy demand. There’s always the exception of a rare book with a hard to get sig and at the end of the day it’s your money to decide whether to take it or leave it