• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Suggestions
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I just got back a TMNT 1 (First Print) from CGC. It graded at a 7.0 with White Pages and the following notes:

Grader Notes:
Center Back Cover Moderate Multiple Indent
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Small Heavy Indent
Whole Book Finger Bends

I am considering sending it back in for pressing and a regrade. Is color" (grammar there somewhat bugs me) will keep it from being perfect, but the other ones don't seem to break the color and the pages are in great shape. In your opinion(s), would the color breaks keep this from anything above a 7.0, or would pressing help me get to a higher grade? On this comic, the cost to do do so compared to the potential value is a pretty huge difference. Thoughts?

Pre-grading photos are below.

TMNT4.thumb.jpg.dc843654c7cae8ff6aad8af59470cee2.jpgTMNT3.thumb.jpg.34b3f22c6b0f103bf8ee75a54711fcda.jpgTMNT2.thumb.jpg.6199202d94c9f30d1c760d4bb916128d.jpgTMNT5.thumb.jpg.1ab6343b295b3b30c0210cd7a4e65681.jpgTMNT1.thumb.jpg.5394a844ac761a4af59bdb8ad71e9a6d.jpg know that the "spine stress lines break

The indents and finger bends can be pressed out and definitely bump up the grade higher that 7.0

I can see 8.0 but might be tough after seeing the cb from the back cover

Edited by B2D327
Took a second look

Fully agreed with pressing. Those non-color dents/bends impact the grade quite significantly. I've had ones in similar condition get bumped by as much as 1.0 full grade up. For future, unless the comic is in pristine condition, I would always get it pressed beforehand. It's too expensive to have to crack the slab open again and sometimes paying that extra $20 is worth getting it right the first time.

Sent it back in. Seems most predictions were spot on. The CB issues kept if from jumping much higher, but it did get rid of the dents/bends, so the grade increased to 7.5. Definitely worth it for this particular comic, but you're right...doing it the first time round is the way to go.