• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you buy published OA...
1 1

When you buy published OA...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. When you buy published OA do you also buy the published piece?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes

29 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Do you also buy the published piece?
May that be Comic Book, Poster, Print...
you got the idea...

I am barely starting out but I have bought the published comics on 2 of the pieces I have obtained so far (for framing purposes) and 2 more for future pieces I am in the process of procuring.

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

As grapeape said, it's usually a comic I already own. But when I first started, I usually sought out a 2nd copy from dollar bins so I can take the comic apart and keep the page with the oa. That stopped making sense when my collection grew larger 

Malvin 

...agree with the statement below. Also, as a general rule, if I sold my copy of a particular comic over the years, then I am probably not interested in buying the OA from that issue.

EXAMPLE: I love LOVE McFarlane, however I sold off most of my Spider-Man (1990 series) issues. I'm sure I was cranky some night and decided they weren't anything I would need to revisit... 
When I'm looking for OA to buy, pages from that series are (for the most part) not on my radar.

5 hours ago, grapeape said:

Usually it’s a page of art from a comic book I already own. 

For around 95%+ I already owned the comic. With the modern art when I buy it usually from the artist or his/her agent I then buy a second copy so I can get it signed some day. Last year at NYCC was lucky enough to get inker and artist on five pieces. As a guy from Australia have been surprisingly successful in that.

With comic-book art, I usually own reprint editions of core interests (having sold-off most of the original books years ago) . . . but have sometimes bought art on the strength of the illustration and may not necessarily be familiar with the printed comic-book or have any great desire to own a copy.

Nowadays, I mostly collect Movie Poster paintings.  Here, I don't see the need to buy a copy of the printed poster as I own the OA.  I do, however, make the effort to track down a DVD or Blu-ray of the movie the artwork was used to promote.

15 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Do you also buy the published piece?
May that be Comic Book, Poster, Print...
you got the idea...

It doesn't really occur to me, but I always find a JPG of the final online and save it for reference. A virtual "tear sheet".

I probably have 95% of the published comics my art is from. I do seek it out. And I do want to own both. I am only missing a couple of comics, mostly due to the fact that I have to overpay for them on eBay. I have yet to find them out in the wild. 

Now, this has been a problem occasionally. One comic I have pages from is a golden age book that is pretty hard to find. Not super expensive, just not a lot of them around. In another case, a splash from my OA page was turned into a exclusive limited print run SDCC exclusive variant cover. So, that was tricky to find. Although, I found a copy at an LCS of all places. I already had a copy of the original cover A variant copy. I do not go out and buy all 5-10 variant cover versions of a comic I have art from. Just one will suffice, usually. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

For some of my covers, I've been getting slabbed copies.  Usually 9.8s.  Some are 9.6s.

Also, I have a few lower grade slabs even though I don't have any art from that issue.  I just felt like it, they have nice covers.  One of them is a 9.8 that looks like it was pressed, hard to hide that on covers with a lot of black.

I don't plan on doing this for very much longer.  I keep them lying flat in a file box and it's filled up (about 15 slabs).  One more box and that is most likely the end.

Overall, I don't care about SS or pedigrees.  But some are pedigrees. 

I’m buying the comic sometimes only to compare with the artwork and verify it’s the published piece by looking at minor details that match on each.   If it is missing stats, patches, Shrunk down, had an entire separate stat made of it for it to be in published form, etc. could also be determined.  You can also study how the artist accomplished the drawing on the original to get it in published form for effects In the comic ( gouged surface patterns, white paint, screen tones, markers, scratches, splatter, etc.). Some artists use the same method over and over again that would help you identify if the art is real or fake.  
I guess no one is buying Interior pages if you are all slabbing the comics.

2 hours ago, Marwai said:

You can also study how the artist accomplished the drawing on the original to get it in published form for effects In the comic ( gouged surface patterns, white paint, screen tones, markers, scratches, splatter, etc.).

Good point. I saw a page in a comic I liked recently. When I contacted the artist about it and he sent me a copy of the original art, it turned out he was able give a shadow effect to the printed face of the Phantom Stranger by making him look like a minstrel. I am not easily offended, but on that one, I passed.  

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

When I contacted the artist about it and he sent me a copy of the original art, it turned out he was able give a shadow effect to the printed face of the Phantom Stranger by making him look like a minstrel. I am not easily offended, but on that one, I passed. 

Can you show us? I'm not understanding the 'not easily offended but I passed' aspect.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Good point. I saw a page in a comic I liked recently. When I contacted the artist about it and he sent me a copy of the original art, it turned out he was able give a shadow effect to the printed face of the Phantom Stranger by making him look like a minstrel. I am not easily offended, but on that one, I passed.  

So are you saying he altered the published art after the fact or that he made it in "blackface" or both?