• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you buy published OA...
1 1

When you buy published OA...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. When you buy published OA do you also buy the published piece?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes

29 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, vodou said:

Can you show us? I'm not understanding the 'not easily offended but I passed' aspect.

Here. It actually does look a lot like that in the published version, but the coloration on the page made me think it would look normal. 

_JaviFernandes.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2

15 minutes ago, Twanj said:

So are you saying he altered the published art after the fact or that he made it in "blackface" or both?

No, it's the original. The coloration of the page threw off what I expected in the OA. 

To be fair, the more I am looking at it, the more I am wondering if I may have over-reacted. It still just doesn't hit it for me. 

9 hours ago, RBerman said:

It doesn't seem like a racial thing, so I'm not offended. But it's also not particularly attractive example of dramatically shading a face.

Sadly, it is the only example of a published Javi Fernandez Phantom Stranger I am likely to find for quite a while. It is the only one he has done so far. As it is, his prices are not exactly low. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Sadly, it is the only example of a published Javi Fernandez Phantom Stranger I am likely to find for quite a while. It is the only one he has done so far. As it is, his prices are not exactly low. 

well if you want to part with it maybe we could trade?

I do sometimes. I was more into going after stuff over a decade ago. I need a Captain America variant cover but the one’s listed on eBay are listed for $450-$700 in CGC 9.6 and 9.8 respectively. Raw copies in not close to that grade have sold for $250-$300...and at those price points I’m just not hot to trot to own a copy of a variant comic that’s just a few years old. If I had to guess I would say more often than not I have the published example. A lot of times with trading card art I’ve bought from artists over the years they have included signed copies of the cards. 

I always say I’ll get a nice CGC copy signed by the artist...but usually just wind up getting a copy signed in person and unwitnessed.

85BF8AFF-A0D8-46EE-9CE7-86C34E2E2C8E.jpeg

83634633-6F7E-412C-A3A1-F19889CBD77F.jpeg

658C1D84-2D35-4153-939E-53E6FD543A36.jpeg

Edited by Mephisto