• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people trade art for comics?

26 posts in this topic

Silly quesiton from a new (relatively) OA collector. Is it common to trade comics for art? I have a bunch of books and could go sell them but I wondered if direct trades were common. I have some good books (WWBN #32 CGC 9.6) for example that would fetch a pretty penny but would rather trade.

If this question is a bit too simplistic for the boards feel free to lock it down and erase it.

1 minute ago, ignimbrite said:

Silly quesiton from a new (relatively) OA collector. Is it common to trade comics for art? I have a bunch of books and could go sell them but I wondered if direct trades were common. I have some good books (WWBN #32 CGC 9.6) for example that would fetch a pretty penny but would rather trade.

If this question is a bit too simplistic for the boards feel free to lock it down and erase it.

Yes.  Collectors do, and certain dealers do.

I traded some junk art a few years ago to a comic shop for some key issues. I didn't want the art, couldn't get rid of it, so I traded for comics of higher value that I ended up selling for way more than I had in the art. I would NOT trade art I wanted to keep for comics, though. You can always buy comics if you have the right amount of cash, but let a piece of art that you really like go and you may never get it back again.

Dave Cockrum, I'm told,  loved reading/ collecting comics.  The owner of my LCS recently told me Dave was at my local shop for a signing event. At the end of the day Dave wanted to trade original X-Men art for comic books. The owner of the store didn't take the trade... hindsight is 20/20

All hearsay,  but thought it was an interesting story. 

It happens more than you think. If you have key comics that are CGC it is easy to identify value so I think this would trade pretty easily if you find a collector or dealer that is willing to trade. If you start a thread, post it here as I would be interested to see how you do. Good luck!

Just again I wanted to say thanks for the advice. I am not afraid to say that I am a bit apprehensive about buying my first 'expensive' piece of art as I pull books together for trade. I am going to be looking for an Adam Highes, Frank Cho or Giordano piece. I realize it may be a long shot but I figure the WWBN 32 CGC 9.6 (unpressed) is a decent starting point.

Again thanks all 👍

3 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

Just again I wanted to say thanks for the advice. I am not afraid to say that I am a bit apprehensive about buying my first 'expensive' piece of art as I pull books together for trade. I am going to be looking for an Adam Highes, Frank Cho or Giordano piece. I realize it may be a long shot but I figure the WWBN 32 CGC 9.6 (unpressed) is a decent starting point.

Again thanks all 👍

Enjoy !  I love my WWBN 32 CGC 8.0, but I realize that it's something I can easily reacquire (in same or different grade) if I ever part with it.  Prized OA, on the other hand... is a different level of precious.  : )

On 2/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, ignimbrite said:

Sell your 9.6 at auction and take the 3 K + + cash and buy some nice art. Cash will always speak louder than trade especially when you cross the streams with art for comics and vise versa.

Trading art for art or books for books always challenging though not impossible. I suspect trading your good books for art you are looking for is setting you up to get fleeced.

I wish you well in any case.

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

Sell your 9.6 at auction and take the 3 K + + cash and buy some nice art. Cash will always speak louder than trade especially when you cross the streams with art for comics and vise versa.

Trading art for art or books for books always challenging though not impossible. I suspect trading your good books for art you are looking for is setting you up to get fleeced.

I wish you well in any case.

That book in that grade is worth ~$12,000. 

I’d put it on eBay, take the cash and use that as an OA starter fund. Then spend a few months studying the market to get a feel for values  

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I’d put it on eBay, take the cash and use that as an OA starter fund. Then spend a few months studying the market to get a feel for values  

Nice valuation I missed the October 2019 sale so if that’s the new normal.,,.

Cue the cash register sounds !!!!!

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

eBay is getting to out of hand with returns months later and straight up scams. At that price point I would consign it to an auction house if you are going that route.

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

eBay is getting to out of hand with returns months later and straight up scams. At that price point I would consign it to an auction house if you are going that route.

I see the book going for over $12,000 on ebay but I can't imagine it getting that. That would be insanity!

14 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

I see the book going for over $12,000 on ebay but I can't imagine it getting that. That would be insanity!

I don't follow this book or have GPA, but even at a fraction of that price point I wouldn't use ebay. No 9.6's have recently sold on there and simply looking at the lone 9.6 book listed on eBay with a BIN will not offer true insight on its value. Most recent sales on HA are 5K and 6.6K but the most recent sale was pre show announcement and is from a year ago. Regardless eBay is not the best venue to move this book.  

14 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

Again thanks all 👍

I'm going to echo grapeape. Selling for cash is going to give you much more flexibility. And as PhilipB mentioned, you might have to sit on that cash before you can locate a piece you really like.

Set a high price in the Comics Selling subforum and take offers. You can probably get a price you are comfortable with. Just don't sell to the first lowballs that come in.

All that aside, "sell the bottom to buy the top". Meaning, don't sell your WWBN. Sell all your drek and lower end stuff first. Unless the WWBN is the only thing that's going to move the needle enough to get you where you need to be.

After all... you're going to eventually sell ALL your comics to buy OA! lol