• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POINT FIVE'S "LIGHTNING ROUND" GRADING CHALLENGE: SLAB REVEALS & FINAL SCORES!
3 3

158 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Azkaban said:

I thought most of these we're text book, except the Batman. Thought it might of even had a shot at 8.5. Thought there was maybe a half a grade difference in the Black Cats and then thought hey he's pulling an Andy and throwing up double's got lucky with those lol  Captain Science was going to go 4.5 but went 4.0 on all three in a row. The Love story getting a 7.5 yikes

Dont forget to change your Location to Winner of 2018 Green Eggs and 2020 PointFive contests

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey, @Point Five, I saw you had a rule to not look at the census...I've never even considered doing that...I imagine some people are cheating to see if there are no books "surrounding" the approximate grades?

Like, if a book is in the 4.0 range, and there's only a single book graded 4.5, and no other book higher than 3.0 or lower than 6.0, then people are using that to make their guesses...?

Huh.

If so, that's kinda sleazy. hm

I would think that after reading his note about that, people would be able to showcase some self-restraint. (thumbsu 

1 minute ago, Azkaban said:

I thought most of these we're text book, except the Batman. Thought it might of even had a shot at 8.5. Thought there was maybe a half a grade difference in the Black Cats and then thought hey he's pulling an Andy and throwing up double's got lucky with those lol  Captain Science was going to go 4.5 but went 4.0 on all three in a row. The Love story getting a 7.5 yikes

You truly are the only wizard to escape from Azkaban! 

Well done! 

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey, @Point Five, I saw you had a rule to not look at the census...I've never even considered doing that...I imagine some people are cheating to see if there are no books "surrounding" the approximate grades?

Like, if a book is in the 4.0 range, and there's only a single book graded 4.5, and no other book higher than 3.0 or lower than 6.0, then people are using that to make their guesses...?

Huh.

Yeah, it has happened in past contests. I thought it made sense to be upfront about it. I believe it was kept to a bare minimum.

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:
4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Huh.

I would think that after reading his note about that, people would be able to showcase some self-restraint. (thumbsu 

Listen...it would make sense if you're trying to win. It's just never occurred to me, because I deal with books that have dozens to hundreds to thousands of copies on the census...I rarely deal in the "this book has a total of 7 copies on the census."

But...a lot of the grading contest books have been like that, I imagine.

I’ve used many, many books over the years, that the census would pretty much point out what they graded at. 

I never said “don’t look at the census”, but it was obvious that folks did. 

3 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I’ve used many, many books over the years, that the census would pretty much point out what they graded at. 

It's fascinating to me, because it seems so obvious in hindsight, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. What an interesting "glitch"! I feel a little dumb for not thinking about it earlier. 

lol

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
7 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

It's fascinating to me, because it seems so obvious in hindsight, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. What an interesting "glitch"! I feel a little dumb for not thinking about it earlier. 

This is one of the many reasons that March Madness employs so many double covers. 

41 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

I thought most of these we're text book, except the Batman. Thought it might of even had a shot at 8.5.

Really? You're the expert... :)

But with all this business at the top of the book, I don't see how it makes it to an 8. I should've gone with my gut on this one.
43255434_ScreenShot2020-02-23at8_53_44PM.thumb.png.1792248e4d7562c70de401f4b0f6189c.png

2 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Really? You're the expert... :)

But with all this business at the top of the book, I don't see how it makes it to an 8. I should've gone with my gut on this one.
43255434_ScreenShot2020-02-23at8_53_44PM.thumb.png.1792248e4d7562c70de401f4b0f6189c.png

I have a few 9.0's that only look a little better (shrug)

4 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

It was a textbook 2.0. 

what an unforeseen grade bump! Did Andy Greenham submit it for you, or what!? 

it's the GA grade bump   :smile: