• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POINT FIVE'S "LIGHTNING ROUND" GRADING CHALLENGE: SLAB REVEALS & FINAL SCORES!
3 3

158 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

I suck so badly at grading GA, it's a good thing I don't have any.

Thank you very much for all the hard work, @Point Five, these grading competitions are the most fun you can have on the boards. (thumbsu

GA is a whole 'nother world. I have roughly zero handle on it. I did some work for a friend, and when it was done, I thought it would grade a 4.0, maybe a 4.5. He was like "it came OUT of a 5.0 holder! It better be better than that!"

It came back a 6.5.

doh!

It was a 1942 book. Great for him, but I am completely out of my depth grading books before 1950. I've probably CGC graded 1,000 or more SA books, maybe 2000-3000 Bronze, and 6000-7000 Copper-Modern. I've graded maybe 50 GA. Total. I just don't have any clue how they grade them. :D

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

@Point Five

thanks for hosting this, it was really fun. Look forward to your next contest. I should of paid more attention to that batman book lol.. and had a oops on another book haha but a few bullseyes I am impressed with myself lol.. 

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey, @Point Five, I saw you had a rule to not look at the census...I've never even considered doing that...I imagine some people are cheating to see if there are no books "surrounding" the approximate grades?

Like, if a book is in the 4.0 range, and there's only a single book graded 4.5, and no other book higher than 3.0 or lower than 6.0, then people are using that to make their guesses...?

Huh.

If so, that's kinda sleazy. hm

Maybe these contests should feature books that have many copies graded or at least a couple copies at every grade from 3.0-9.0? It could eliminate this "strategy" that I am sure some people use from being that successful. I like trusting my gut and studying years of images on ebay and through the good old grading guides. I am excited to see how I fare in the big one :) Now to scrounge up a prize for you all to consider...

3 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

I originally had Air Aces at 1.8 then talked myself into a 1.0. Geez, I blew that one. I’m not good at low grade books at all.

I talked myself up to a 2.0 haha. I was also at 1.8 but then was like, no its an old book so be nicer to it. I still wasn't nice enough haha. 

12 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Well it was a lot of fun. I only really messed up big with Jungle Comics #53, giving it an 8.5. Thanks for hoisting this and for your hard work @pointfiter (thumbsu

Ya lol I thought 8.0, I think because it was one of the "busier covers" or had more art along the spine, that we didn't see how bad it was. Let's go with that :foryou: :roflmao: 

6 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:
3 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

I originally had Air Aces at 1.8 then talked myself into a 1.0. Geez, I blew that one. I’m not good at low grade books at all.

I talked myself up to a 2.0 haha. I was also at 1.8 but then was like, no its an old book so be nicer to it. I still wasn't nice enough haha. 

The Air Ace seemed to have more lowball guesses than any other book... I was kinda surprised at all the 1.5-2.0 guesses. GA books in that range are usually trampled with good amounts of color loss, or if the eye appeal is there then there's some other structural problem like lots of spine splitting. This one has pretty vibrant colors and no major splits or pieces missing. IMO it's a nice-looking lower grade book.