• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page '12'

58 posts in this topic

Sorry if this a dopey question but in a coverless slabbed book what would 'page 12' be..?

On a book with a cover I think p12 is the 12th side in if the front cover is p1..?

There's no way of knowing is there..?  They may have counted the cover even though its missing or they may not..?

2 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But comics are assembled from wraps. The first wrap would contain..the cover (page one)..the interior cover (page two)...the interior to the back cover (page thirty five) and the back cover (thirty six). This is based on a book with 9 wraps.

That's what I said.

No matter how you count the coverless slabbed book p12 is a story page so the notes on the Blue Label are wrong.

6 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Is this a coverless ASM 14 you're looking at?

I can't help you with that as I don't have one, complete or otherwise.

@marvelmaniac may be able to identify the page, as he has one and is a very helpful chap as well.

Yes indeed and Marvel maniac did help me greatly - we discovered that the missing page is unique to ASM14 - well we're 90% sure.

So I need a rough copy but they start at like $500.  We'll see.

3 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Yes indeed and Marvel maniac did help me greatly - we discovered that the missing page is unique to ASM14 - well we're 90% sure.

So I need a rough copy but they start at like $500.  We'll see.

Yes, I was in that thread too. I meant he may be able to identify what page is missing (the mysterious page 12) from this slab.

59 minutes ago, mike devon said:

But there aren't 12 leaves - I think there are 8 in an average silver age book..?

Mike,

Where the confusion comes in is that what CGC calls a "Page" is actually a "leaf"

Here's the breakdown:

There are 8 interior "wraps" in a Silver age book.

There are 16 interior "leafs" in a Silver age book. (a leaf is 1/2 of a wrap)

There are 32 interior "pages" in a Silver age book. A page (technically) is on each side of a leaf, so each leaf has 2 pages.

When a CGC label says "Missing page 12", what they really mean is "missing the 12th interior leaf"

I'll try to break this down even further for you.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... the 12th individual interior leaf.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... the back half of the 5th wrap.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... pages 23 & 24 of the story (or usually an ad page on both sides)

You're putting way too much thought into something that's pretty easy to figure out.

If you're looking at an early Marvel Silver age comic.... the 12th page is commonly missing either because it's a "pin-up" page, or because it's got a giant cool ad for another Marvel comic, or because the front side of the page has a coupon cut out.

Edited by gadzukes

28 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Yes, I was in that thread too. I meant he may be able to identify what page is missing (the mysterious page 12) from this slab.

Oh well not possible as we have no idea which pages are missing if you see what I mean.  The book needs to be taken out.

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Mike,

Where the confusion comes in is that what CGC calls a "Page" is actually a "leaf"

Here's the breakdown:

There are 8 interior "wraps" in a Silver age book.

There are 16 interior "leafs" in a Silver age book. (a leaf is 1/2 of a wrap)

There are 32 interior "pages" in a Silver age book. A page (technically) is on each side of a leaf, so each leaf has 2 pages.

When a CGC label says "Missing page 12", what they really mean is "missing the 12th interior leaf"

I'll try to break this down even further for you.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... the 12th individual interior leaf.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... the back half of the 5th wrap.

CGC "page 12" is equal to.... pages 23 & 24 of the story.

You're putting way too much thought into something that's pretty easy to figure out.

If you're looking at an early Marvel Silver age comic.... the 12th page is commonly missing either because it's a "pin-up" page, or because it's got a giant cool ad for another Marvel comic, or because the front side of the page has a coupon cut out.

Cheers - but whichever way you count it p 12 is a story page and on the case it says it isn't.

11 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers - but whichever way you count it p 12 is a story page and on the case it says it isn't.

If it's an early MARVEL Silver, page 12 is NOT a story page!!!!!!  The front side is ads and the back side is either a pin-up or a full page ad for another Marvel comic.

Edited by gadzukes

Just now, mike devon said:

Given the information that gadzukes supplied which was extremely helpful and something I didn't know either, an owner of a raw ASM#14 (wink, wink) should be able to identify what is missing in the slab.

12 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

If it's an early MARVEL Silver, page 12 is NOT a story page!!!!!!  The front side is ads and the back side is either a pin-up or a full page ad for another Marvel comic.

Bro I've GOT THE BOOK and I've COUNTED IN FROM THE FRONT.  Whatever way you do it p12 is a story page.

SO:  
counting each side of each leaf from story page 1 - p12 is a story page
counting each side of each leaf from front cover - p12 is a story page

Unless I've gone completely insane.  Possible.

1 minute ago, SpeakUpSonny said:

I have an ASM #14, but I'm not going to help if the OP is just going to ignore my answer too.

See my post above - I've got the book.  I've counted.

The mystery is the wrongly labelled slabbed book.  Unless I've gone mad.