• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM14 marry (maybe)

16 posts in this topic

Already discussed but I now have the book.  Missing 1 ad page.  Other side of that wrap still present and on the staples.

I've been advised to just sell it as is but I might try to marry the wrap from a rough copy.

Might be more trouble than its worth but I just like fixing things if I can

I think it was generally judged to a 4.5 or 5.0.

asm14.jpg

8 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

I think you'll be throwing good money after bad.

Either keep it and enjoy it or sell it as is.

Cheers Harry - doesn't that depend though on how much the replacement wrap would cost..?  What if I can get it for like £200 - would that not then make it worth doing..?

I now this has already been discussed but now I've actually got it I have to decide.

I've got a mid-grade FF#52 also missing an ad page (story unaffected). I also got a substantial discount on it. Do I want to buy a low grader just to marry them? No, I'm more than happy to have it in my collection so I can read it and enjoy but I'm a collector.

I've given my advice. Take it or not but I can see you losing out on any marrying ideas. To get a price you will be happy with, the book will have to be slabbed and it'll come back purple which is self-defeating to any notion of achieving the highest price possible. If you try to sell it raw honestly, then it's probably not going to make much more than you paid for it (and the bride). Do you really want all that hassle?

3 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

I've got a mid-grade FF#52 also missing an ad page (story unaffected). I also got a substantial discount on it. Do I want to buy a low grader just to marry them? No, I'm more than happy to have it in my collection so I can read it and enjoy but I'm a collector.

I've given my advice. Take it or not but I can see you losing out on any marrying ideas. To get a price you will be happy with, the book will have to be slabbed and it'll come back purple which is self-defeating to any notion of achieving the highest price possible. If you try to sell it raw honestly, then it's probably not going to make much more than you paid for it (and the bride). Do you really want all that hassle?

Indeed - not sure.  It was £500 odd which I thought was OK.  Wouldn't it get a green Qualified though..?

I collect.  I get upgrades by buying and selling a bit.  Same with toys.

Edited by mike devon

Sellers aren't dumb. They want to make the most from a sale with putting as little effort as necessary. If the seller thought it would be worthwhile to go to the trouble of completing the book (like if it was a Superman 1 or Batman 1, for instance), then they would have. So if you in turn want to be smart about this too and only care about selling it, then the best thing is to do what the seller did and just sell it raw. Best to have someone else think they are getting a deal and will go through the hassle of everything else you suggested.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, mike devon said:

Yeah and I have a bit of a problem with that - as I've said before should a 1mm square colour touch really signal 'death'..?

Depends the era are rarity of the comic. For golden age, it's not at all a signal of death. A superman 1 with a slight colour touch will still get you loads of money

But with Silver age, you enter a far greater abundance of books. So books with married pages, small colour touches, sealed tears are really seen apart from complete unrestored books and the difference between prices becomes much greater as well.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Depends the era are rarity of the comic. For golden age, it's not at all a signal of death. A superman 1 with a slight colour touch will still get you loads of money

But with Silver age, you enter a far greater abundance of books. So books with married pages, small colour touches, sealed tears are really seen apart from complete unrestored books and the difference between prices becomes much greater as well.

Yeah I understand.  I guess it depends really on how much money there is in it.  A big time dealer wouldn't faff around with a book to make $200 but I probably would.   I think the ASM14 is a cool enough book to attract a buyer for say half the price of same general condition but unrestored.

Edited by mike devon

1 hour ago, mike devon said:

Yeah I understand.  I guess it depends really on how much money there is in it.  A big time dealer wouldn't faff around with a book to make $200 but I probably would.   I think the ASM14 is a cool enough book to attract a buyer for say half the price of same general condition but unrestored.

I just went to check and it seems for the same condition, a qualified ASM 14 sold for 30% the value of an unrestored copy of the exact same grade just a few months apart.

While I get what you are hoping happens, I don't really understand why it would. If I understand correctly, you are planning on spending a more money to turn your qualified Spidey 14 into a qualified Spidey 14. They would be qualified for different reasons, but still qualified. I don't see why the market value of the book would change.

Hence why everyone is advising you sell the book as is if your goal is to sell the book. Or else you may lose money.

I get that you come from a toy background, but silver age isn't really a good comparison for fixing things up and selling at more than cost. Golden age is where this is a more common practice and where it is worthwhile. 

7 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I just went to check and it seems for the same condition, a qualified ASM 14 sold for 30% the value of an unrestored copy of the exact same grade just a few months apart.

While I get what you are hoping happens, I don't really understand why it would. If I understand correctly, you are planning on spending a more money to turn your qualified Spidey 14 into a qualified Spidey 14. They would be qualified for different reasons, but still qualified. I don't see why the market value of the book would change.

Hence why everyone is advising you sell the book as is if your goal is to sell the book. Or else you may lose money.

I get that you come from a toy background, but silver age isn't really a good comparison for fixing things up and selling at more than cost. Golden age is where this is a more common practice and where it is worthwhile. 

Cheers.  I am heeding all the advice - I don't want to spend $500 on a ropey copy to get the wrap.

What was the qualified copy..?  I had a look and can't find anything - could you tell me where it is..?  Purely out of interest.  Cheers

Edited by mike devon

41 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers.  I am heeding all the advice - I don't want to spend $500 on a ropey copy to get the wrap.

What was the qualified copy..?  I had a look and can't find anything - could you tell me where it is..?  Purely out of interest.  Cheers

Sure thing here is the qualified comic I found. https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-condition-qualified-vf/a/121130-10029.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And I compared it to the next VF sold that same year. I know it's been a while but I could not find something more recent for comparison. 

And yeah, no one is giving away copies of ASM 14, those prices are really rough for really rough comics. I wish you all the best!

Edited by William-James88

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Sure thing here is the qualified comic I found. https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-condition-qualified-vf/a/121130-10029.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And I compared it to the next VF sold that same year. I know it's been a while but I could not find something more recent for comparison. 

And yeah, no one is giving away copies of ASM 14, those prices are really rough for really rough comics. I wish you all the best!

Cheers - yeah that one's qualified but the page is missing rather than married.  It so depends on the buyer its hard to be very precise.  I'm leaning towards forgetting about it but I'll see.  Its fun to think about.