• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any love for the old Nintendo Power Magazines?
1 1

90 posts in this topic

Other than comics, my friends and I use to live for these because they had both new game previews and "secrets" to existing games.  Plus tips and tricks on how to beat all those challenging games that no could ever figure out... I'm looking at you Zelda second quest..:p

Anyways, I've been collecting various issues and I'm thinking of slabbing them in the near future. Any value in these?

cNintendoPower1.png

8 hours ago, whetteon said:

Other than comics, my friends and I use to live for these because they had both new game previews and "secrets" to existing games.  Plus tips and tricks on how to beat all those challenging games that no could ever figure out... I'm looking at you Zelda second quest..:p

Anyways, I've been collecting various issues and I'm thinking of slabbing them in the near future. Any value in these?

cNintendoPower1.png

My brother and I used to love that magazine for all the same reasons.  While I don’t think there’s an established market for these yet, I really like where your head is at given what’s happening with the burgeoning video game market!  (thumbsu

Brings back memories... :cloud9:

9 hours ago, whetteon said:

cNintendoPower1.png

I don't think their value has been fully realized, but #1 and #2 are probably the hottest of the bunch.  In fact, I slabbed a Nintendo Power #2 last year and got a 9.0.  At the time it was the highest grade (I believe a 9.2 has since been added).  Sadly, I had to sell it, but it did go for 6-7 hundred).  I would suggest looking at Ebay sales (not what they are simply being listed for).  If you are selling, Buy it Now seems to be the way to go with these.  Finding copies in 8.0 or above are super tough because we as kids beat these things to hell.  Such great memories though.

There's definitely interest, but people are cautious about spending heaps of money on them and I think you risk having an auction fall flat

11 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

I don't think their value has been fully realized, but #1 and #2 are probably the hottest of the bunch.  In fact, I slabbed a Nintendo Power #2 last year and got a 9.0.  At the time it was the highest grade (I believe a 9.2 has since been added).  Sadly, I had to sell it, but it did go for 6-7 hundred).  I would suggest looking at Ebay sales (not what they are simply being listed for).  If you are selling, Buy it Now seems to be the way to go with these.  Finding copies in 8.0 or above are super tough because we as kids beat these things to hell.  Such great memories though.

There's definitely interest, but people are cautious about spending heaps of money on them and I think you risk having an auction fall flat

I'm sure a lot of this is based on nostalgia.  Personally I'm only interested in getting the magazines that feature our discuss the games I still own. That's the Zelda series, Mega Man series, Super Mario series and Kirby Gameboy issues.  In fact, I'm really found of Kirby. I felt like that game in particular (along with Wario) saved the game boy franchise single handed. Plus they had a lot of replay value. Not something that could be said about MOST of the previous game boy games.

I threw all of mine away and many other old video game magazines many years ago. I think some are worth something now. I do want to get a few old Nintendo Power issues again. Same goes for the one that came before it was Nintendo Power.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, whetteon said:

Now, I recall that there were the preview Nintendo Power #1 magazines only given out to those who previously had a membership and then there are those that came off the magazine rack a month or two later. hm

you should look at sales now

a #1 in like 6.0 sold for $800

and a #6 in 6.0 yellow label sold for $300

there were quite a few sales before that, maybe gpa would work, but they're so old now the sales don't show up on ebay sold anymore

But CGC has been giving a couple of hundred in registry points due to sales of Nintendo Power, even in VF grade :) 

I can't believe how bad I beat up my copies of this magazine as a kid. I have issues 118-186 and I don't think they can be considered anything other than personal nostalgia given the condition they are in. Funny considering all of the comics from my childhood are still in great shape. Priorities I suppose.

Back in 2010, I thought it would be really cool to own the first issue of Nintendo Power. I paid $20 on eBay for a pretty pristine "Sample Copy" version with everything attached and no writing. Exciting to see how this thing has exploded in value. I can't imagine the rest of the run gaining much value, but here's some issues I think will grow.

1, 2, 4, 11, 17, 31, 285

15 hours ago, miscus555 said:

i think the early issues with the art or stand in models with always be popular

That's true. Anything resembling #1 (like 11, 18, 39, and 285...all mario covers) will probably stay popular.

Looking at eBay the value of almost any issue is considerably low unless it's in mint condition and then the price sky rockets. That's obviously true for most of this hobby, but with CGC not being the most likely path for this magazine it's hard to gauge how many mint condition early issues there are versus ones kids beat the heck out of. Seems like a big deal down the line if the series becomes more collectible/desirable.

Lifting this from another website:

Here is some facts you need to know if you start looking for a #1 copy to CGC.
  1. They are magazines size so make sure you realize you need different backing boards and plastic bags
  2. There are really TWO copies of the 1st issue. A trial issue that was sent to all the fans who were currently receiving the Nintendo Magazine Pamphlet a month early. The are limited and I think their numbers are pretty low but I can't remember the exact print run. They can be distinguished by the word "SAMPLE" on the front cover.
  3. They have a business card return, a survey, a map/poster and numerous other things kids removed from the magazine. Make sure your copy had the poster intact, a clean survey and a intact and clean business reply letter in the back. My copy looked fantastic but had one of these things were missing.
  4. Subscription information is sometimes on the back of the magazine, be sure to look so you don't get one that damages your copy.
  5.  The lone CGC copy graded at 9.0 on eBay is BIN at $2k. The price moves up from there.
  6. The SAMPLE copy doesn't come with a poster.

Good luck in your search!

115747856_3124982324261463_8889188731180456663_o.thumb.jpg.8ce4425d712df51e9824bc202e6bfa1c.jpg

Edited by whetteon
more info