• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Her Name Is Rio and She Dances On The Sand...

55 posts in this topic

Moving on the floor now babe you're a bird of paradise
Cherry ice cream smile I suppose it's very nice
With a step to your left and a flick to the right you catch that mirror way out west
You know you're something special and you look like you're the best

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande

I've seen you on the beach and I've seen you on TV
Two of a billion stars it means so much to me
Like a birthday or a pretty view
But then I'm sure that you know it's just for you

Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande

Hey now woo look at that did she nearly run you down
At the end of the drive the lawmen arrive
You make me feel alive, alive alive
I'll take my chance cause luck is on my side or something
I know what you're thinking I tell you something I know what you're thinking

Just like that river twists across a dusty land
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grand
Her name is Rio she don't need to understand
And I might find her if I'm looking like I can
Oh Rio, Rio hear them shout across the land
From mountains in the north down to the Rio Grande
Do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Wrong album, but still lol 

When I was at school me and my mate hung around with two girls who were obsessed with them. They'd travel up to 'Radio 1' as they called it and wait for them to appear when they knew they'd be there. Same with Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I fancied one of them rotten (the girls, not the bands) and, being a reasonable artist, drew lots of pictures of the Duranies and the bass player from Frankie for her. She took them up and got them signed. So she got signed original art, they got teen adulation and all I got was the bus home :grin:

26 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I was watching the new Duran Duran documentary "There's Something You Should Know" on Showtime last night (2020 release here in the US/was out in 2018 in the UK). There's one part in it where Nick Rhodes shows off the original Patrick Nagel album cover art to their "Rio" album (it wasn't clear if he owns it or if someone loaned it for the documentary - anyone know?) 

Being a 1980s kid and Duran Duran fan (I saw them in concert a few years ago and their music holds up surprisingly well...dismiss their musical chops at your own peril), this painting is on my fantasy shortlist of top 5 all-time favorite pieces of OA or illustration art (it's basically everything awesome about the 1980s in one medium-sized square canvas!), and it was very cool to see it (if only on my TV screen!) (worship)(worship)(worship)  

20200223_215815.thumb.jpg.f5bf92d778a93720ea4b9b8911a24e3f.jpg20200223_220110.thumb.jpg.7d55dcb5b211ed26e5d99cfe81b61a27.jpg20200223_220148.thumb.jpg.ebf4fe86624a45068f3d991b88bb8549.jpg20200223_220211.thumb.jpg.705f32516df9086f825a71fc9effba9b.jpg 

No idea who owns it, but whoever does, got it for a steal.  Nagel's "Joan Collins" sold 2 years ago for $200,000 and that was his highest auction sale to date.  

I was just watching this documentary the other day. It's great!

Also, the movie "Sing Street" takes place in this era and the teens have a discussion about the proficiency of John Taylor on the Bass. 

5 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

No idea who owns it, but whoever does, got it for a steal.  Nagel's "Joan Collins" sold 2 years ago for $200,000 and that was his highest auction sale to date.  

Joan Collins actually sold for $100K, while Bold was the one that sold for $200K (both in 2017). 

I'm sure the Rio album would have fetched big money for the time whenever it traded hands...not sure if that was back in the 1980s or if it has traded hands since then.  I'm sure it would fetch an enormous price these days were it to be sold.  

22 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Joan Collins actually sold for $100K, while Bold was the one that sold for $200K (both in 2017). 

I'm sure the Rio album would have fetched big money for the time whenever it traded hands...not sure if that was back in the 1980s or if it has traded hands since then.  I'm sure it would fetch an enormous price these days were it to be sold.  

Apologies for the mistake.

Nagel went out in the most '80s way possible, heart attack 15 minutes into a celebrity aerobics-a-thon sponsored by Playboy.  While I was looking him up to confirm this memory, I learned something Gene would like us to know:

"In 2017, his Japanese canvas version of Duran Duran's Rio album cover broke an all time record, selling for US$212,000."

BUT that might not be the OA to the  album, right?  Sounds like he started painting after the album came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Nagel

20 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Nagel went out in the most '80s way possible, heart attack 15 minutes into a celebrity aerobics-a-thon sponsored by Playboy.  While I was looking him up to confirm this memory, I learned something Gene would like us to know:

"In 2017, his Japanese canvas version of Duran Duran's Rio album cover broke an all time record, selling for US$212,000."

BUT that might not be the OA to the  album, right?  Sounds like he started painting after the album came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Nagel

No idea what that $212K sale is referring to; I never heard anything about it nor can I find any documentation or attribution on the Internet.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's an erroneous statement. @pinupcartoonguy do you know the deal??

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

No idea what that $212K sale is referring to; I never heard anything about it nor can I find any documentation or attribution on the Internet.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's an erroneous statement. @pinupcartoonguy do you know the deal??

I think they mixed up Rio and Bold.  

Thanks for the tip on this doc, I'm gonna need to check it out. I was a HUGE Nagel fan in the 80's, and always an '80s music fan.

Showtime also did a doc on WLIR, a Long Island radio station that was the cutting edge of the 80's music scene. I listened to that station all day, everyday.