• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Her Name Is Rio and She Dances On The Sand...

55 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

and always an '80s music fan.

Showtime also did a doc on WLIR, a Long Island radio station that was the cutting edge of the 80's music scene. I listened to that station all day, everyday.

Saw that doc on WLIR introducing Talking Heads, Duran Duran, Blondie, U2, Howard Johnson, etc. to the NYC market. "In the midnight hour, I cry more, more, more!"

58 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Saw that doc on WLIR introducing Talking Heads, Duran Duran, Blondie, U2, Howard Johnson, etc. to the NYC market. "In the midnight hour, I cry more, more, more!"

Fellow Canuck (and anyone else) you might enjoy the recent Norval Morisseau documentary “There are no Fakes.”   Very entertaining and interesting. 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Duran Duran fan

Rio was the first CD/album I ever bought. (I started with CDs and had one of the first portable players.)

And Ordinary World was my first live concert.

Btw, you gotta get one of these-

https://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/duran-duran-cd-singles-box-sets-81-85-13-disc-collection

It's all of the singles in CD form with all of the art shrunk down. B-sides galore. Very fun. I think there is an 86-up box too.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Duran Duran and Wham! concerts were the best places to meet girls! :whee:

Agreed!!!

Feb 24th, 1984, touring behind their "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" album...my family had a hook up at the big venue in the Chicago area and I was able to take 8 girls from my 7th grade class to that Duran Duran concert sitting in a skybox right next to the stage. It was an event not soon forgotten. 

ugh.   I liked the lyrics a lot better before I had to read them all at once like that.   Catchy song but a few of those lyrics are just... “special”

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

ugh.   I liked the lyrics a lot better before I had to read them all at once like that.   Catchy song but a few of those lyrics are just... “special”

Gene, your posts are a like a cherry ice cream smile... very nice :insane:

Edited by Bronty

I take issue with the "illustrated Rio". 

You should use the soap to wash off the faucet knobs, using your elbow is unnecessary.  Perhaps Sal B can revise. 

Obsessive compulsive hand washers... this is our time !!! 

Rise up and take what's yours !!!

Note, I am not germ phobic.  I am germ aware.

Edited by Will_K

On 2/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, delekkerste said:

No idea what that $212K sale is referring to; I never heard anything about it nor can I find any documentation or attribution on the Internet.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's an erroneous statement. @pinupcartoonguy do you know the deal??

Yeah, the canvas, which was used for CN9, went for north of $200k at a local auction house.  I was there and bid on the piece, but I wasn't in the top 2.  At the time, it was the highest price paid at auction for a Nagel.

9.jpg

Edited by pinupcartooncollector
add image

On 2/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, glendgold said:

Nagel went out in the most '80s way possible, heart attack 15 minutes into a celebrity aerobics-a-thon sponsored by Playboy.  While I was looking him up to confirm this memory, I learned something Gene would like us to know:

"In 2017, his Japanese canvas version of Duran Duran's Rio album cover broke an all time record, selling for US$212,000."

BUT that might not be the OA to the  album, right?  Sounds like he started painting after the album came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Nagel

It's very possible that painting was done after the album came out.  Nagel frequently made various paintings of the same images--several of his smaller playboy painting on board were turned into canvases with slight variations.  

I could swear I saw that one for sale somewhere. Perhaps it was the canvas mentioned though. Or another similar painting. I still think about getting a Nagel original. I'll probably get one of the Playboy collection first. I discovered Duran Duran in Roger Moore's final Bond movie A View to a Kill.

That song is still one of the best in the series. Then I picked up their Decade album a few years later. I probably heard some of their other music before but wasn't really sure.

I've been picking up a few Craig Drake prints over the years too. He has a similar style to Nagel.

http://craigdrakeart.com/illustrated

On 2/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

When I was at school me and my mate hung around with two girls who were obsessed with them. They'd travel up to 'Radio 1' as they called it and wait for them to appear when they knew they'd be there. Same with Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I fancied one of them rotten (the girls, not the bands) and, being a reasonable artist, drew lots of pictures of the Duranies and the bass player from Frankie for her. She took them up and got them signed. So she got signed original art, they got teen adulation and all I got was the bus home :grin:

I remember meeting a teen groupie once. She was way too fast for her age. I think she was like eighteen or nineteen and told me a story about how she would wait for bands at their hotel when she was even younger.