• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Russ Cochran

16 posts in this topic

"Russ Cochran passed away on Sunday, February 23, 2020. Russ Cochran was a resident of Missouri at the time of passing."

On a personal level, I first got in contact with Russ circa 1979 to subscribe to his EC Library project.  Subsequently, as a result of receiving his newsletters, I subscribed to his Art Auctions during 1982 and spent the best part of ten years mostly buying EC original artwork from him.  He started me off on this hobby and for that I will always be grateful.

Rest in peace, Russ, you made your mark in life.

Russ produced the first original artwork catalogue I ever saw, Graphic Gallery, the predecessor to his auctions.  I'm fairly sure the first  one I sent away for was #4, in 1974, when I was ten. This was the first time I saw Frazetta art for sale - pen and ink pieces for the massive sum of $75. It shaped my understanding of what all the adults who had $75 were interested in - Foster, Raymond, Herriman, Barks etc.  There was some boilerplate in them about how they weren't just displays of items for sale, but were to be catalogues, too, of artwork you might never see again because it would end up in permanent collections.  I was just leafing through a couple of his catalogues and this description turns out to be TOTALLY ACCURATE.   Or, at least, accurate until the Lucas Museum opens up.

RIP and thank you for all you did to champion all that wonderful material. Stan Lee liked to use that phrase "keepers of the flame" for fans; he may have meant Marvel fans, but for the hobby at large Mr Cochran certainly was a Keeper of the Flame in the best and truest sense. Thank you, good sir!

RIP Russ Cochran, very sorry to hear this. My being here today is a direct result of his EC reprint projects of the 1990s, which started me collecting 1950s comics. Loved his passion for our hobby.