• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burned cover art

18 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I guess you could say that their work is 'hot' (groan).

There was an English band, the KLF I think, who once burned a million £s in a suitcase as some kind of artistic statement.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:21 PM, Keys_Collector said:

I think this is a really unique art style especially on a comic book cover but how can a burnt cover be a 9.8?

Signature Series books can be thought of as a very specific kind of Qualified book.  In a Qualified book, a grade is given that omits a single, large flaw that would otherwise drop the grade significantly.  An unwitnessed signature on the cover or a missing Marvel Value Stamp will can garner a Qualified label.  In these cases, the book will be graded as if the unwitnessed signature weren't there or if the MVS stamp were still intact. 

Signature Series basically grades the book as if the Signature, Sketch, or anything else weren't present.  It omits the "flaw" when grading the book.  I've seen books signed, sketched, painted, ripped, cut, and kissed with these additions being omitted when graded.   This burning art is no different.

Personally, I dig the way this came out @Legal Burning.  Nice work!  Care to elaborate on your process?

24 minutes ago, Legal Burning said:

Hi all. Thank you for all the feedback. I do make sure to keep the heat away from internal pages of the comic, as I work with very low heat settings. I build up my values very similar to a pencil artist. Thanks for looking.

Would love to see it - do you have any video of your work in progress?

On 2/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, Keys_Collector said:

I think this is a really unique art style especially on a comic book cover but how can a burnt cover be a 9.8?

Well, how can a comic with writing and/or scribbles all over it be a 9.8?    Its no different than any other yellow label signature/ sketch cover.  Its just a 'forgiven defect' that you're not used to thinking about, but really, if the art on a sketch cover is done with marker or with low level burning, what's the difference?    either way, the cover has changed permanently as a result of the process.

Edited by Bronty

30 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well, how can a comic with writing and/or scribbles all over it be a 9.8?    Its no different than any other yellow label signature/ sketch cover.  Its just a 'forgiven defect' that you're not used to thinking about, but really, if the art on a sketch cover is done with marker or with low level burning, what's the difference?    either way, the cover has changed permanently as a result of the process.

I do enjoy the artwork and welcome contributions like this.  There does seem to be a difference as adding a marking whether it is a signature or sketch is adding a layer on top of the cover where burning is actually removing a layer or pieces of a cover.  The integrity and completeness of the book can still be judged even with a signature or artwork on top but this is different.

24 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I do enjoy the artwork and welcome contributions like this.  There does seem to be a difference as adding a marking whether it is a signature or sketch is adding a layer on top of the cover where burning is actually removing a layer or pieces of a cover.  The integrity and completeness of the book can still be judged even with a signature or artwork on top but this is different.

I disagree, it’s what would normally be damage either way.   But I understand your POV.