• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA shipping overseas.
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

Lately I am seeing sales threads with a very similar message.

“I will ship overseas but PM me first”

That statement is a killer for me and your sales for a number of reasons

I see a book I need, I want to TAKE IT straight away so I don’t miss it, instead I have to send a PM and wait for a reply, the time difference is 7 hours, so you may have gone to work or may be in bed, the reply can be hours away and your reply may be another question

Do you want me to get you a quote?

Do you know how much it will cost?

Do you have board references?

Etc.

Then I need to reply and wait again, the book is long gone or I want 2 or 3 books and one sells and the other two are not worth the postage costs without the key book.

It never used to be this bad, so either a lot of boardies have had bad experiences lately or more likely, sellers are copying other people’s sales terms.

Can I suggest something like?

“I will ship overseas as long as you are an established boardie who understands the high cost of postage”

Anyone with a better suggestion that will help the situation is very welcome to comment

I have to add, I live in the UK and have been buying comics for 30+ years and never had any major problems.

Some boardies here have sent me comics quicker than I can get them in the same city I live in, it usually takes between 5-10 days

Zzutak can do it in 3 days for some reason (worship)(worship)(worship)

I have been buying comics from the US way before Paypal and just put dollars in an envelope and still never had a problem.

I think that people in this community are mostly honest and we look after each other ( thats my experience anyway )

This is a big deal to me and I have lost a lot of books recently, that I would have taken and then seen others sat in sales threads unsold as it just wasnt worth the merry-go-round of PMs

Help a guy out eh! :foryou:

My 1st sale on the boards was to a nice fellow in Germany.  it took a bit of time to go thru the various Postal zone charts combined with package size and weights to figure out what it would cost.  But it wasn't really that difficult.   There's some peculiarities about large envelopes if their considered 'rigid'.  I saved all that info in a file so I can refer to it w/o needing to dig thru the USPS site again.  Something to remember is currency conversion fees when a buyer goes to make payment.  That hit my German buyer when going thru Paypal.   if you're making a small transaction, it may be OK to simply put the US cash in an envelope, but that wouldn't be prudent for any mid/major transaction

Back in the day, by far the cheapest way was to go to a travel agent and change Pounds to Dollars and send the Dollars in a greeting card, done it hundreds of times.

I bought all my Wizard 1/2s from Wizard like this.

I am not sure if I would do it now tbh, but its so easy now with paypal etc

1 hour ago, Kevin.J said:

Can I suggest something like?

“I will ship overseas as long as you are an established boardie who understands the high cost of postage”

This is good advice, and I will be revising my thread rules with something similar.

Haha people sending money in the post, my Grandparents can't even send me a birthday card because that will get stolen. Every package I have ever got via post has been opened and anything in it removed. If we want anything here it's courier to the door which becomes crazy expensive. I envy the internationals who can just use ebay as they please.

24 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

Haha people sending money in the post, my Grandparents can't even send me a birthday card because that will get stolen. Every package I have ever got via post has been opened and anything in it removed. If we want anything here it's courier to the door which becomes crazy expensive. I envy the internationals who can just use ebay as they please.

New Jersey?

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Some of us just don't like foriegners. Californians are the worst. :cool: 

giphy.gif

Sorry..., Californicators. :foryou: 

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

This is good advice, and I will be revising my thread rules with something similar.

Thanks Ryan, hopefully others will copy you.

I wouldn't hesitate with you anyway as we have done big box deals in the past :bigsmile:

6 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:
3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Thanks Ryan, hopefully others will copy you.

I wouldn't hesitate with you anyway as we have done big box deals in the past :bigsmile:

When I make a listing here, I usually say shipping is included in price, and if an international sale, I'll put $15 toward the cost if posting :takeit: 

Hopefully that suffices, because I've yet to have an international sale and unaware of the costs, I do believe that I've been quoted that Canada is about $25......

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

When I make a listing here, I usually say shipping is included in price, and if an international sale, I'll put $15 toward the cost if posting :takeit: 

Hopefully that suffices, because I've yet to have an international sale and unaware of the costs, I do believe that I've been quoted that Canada is about $25......

Shipping has changed a little in the last few months. Shipping to Canada via First Class Air Mail for all packages weighing up to 2 pounds are $19.71. Shipping to the UK is now $23.28 for anything up to 2 pounds. So shipping 2 comics is the same price as shipping 8 comics. 

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a deal in progress atm, the shipping to me from US is $93 for 8 slabs, its the cost of doing business, the price isnt the issue, its the fact that I have to send a PM and miss the deal to start with.

I bet I missed 20 books last month due to quick boardies while I dithered with PMs or the 1 or 2 books were not worth the effort as I had missed a key one I wanted, so just let them drop