• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiny holes on inside pages of comic

15 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Thor 209 (March 1973), and on pages 9 through 24 there are tiny holes on the bottom of the page.  I was told they were made during the printing process by a gripper.  I was wondering if these holes will affect the CGC grade of the comic?  I am looking to get the comic signed and graded at a Con this summer and need to know if I should get a new copy.  Other than the holes the comic is in exceptional condition.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Those are "Perforation Tears" and are a Bindery Defect.

They will not affect the grade unless you are in the 9.8 range.

Perforations - Small hole at the page margins which sometimes occur as part of the manufacturing process. Not considered a defect. Perforations are sometimes used to tell if a comic is an unread copy. In such a copy tell-tale clicks are heard when the book is opened for the first time as the perforations separate.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Those are "Perforation Tears" and are a Bindery Defect.

They will not affect the grade unless you are in the 9.8 range.

Perforations - Small hole at the page margins which sometimes occur as part of the manufacturing process. Not considered a defect. Perforations are sometimes used to tell if a comic is an unread copy. In such a copy tell-tale clicks are heard when the book is opened for the first time as the perforations separate.

They aren't a bindery defect, because they are made on the press.  Bindery is where the interior pages get inserted into the covers. 

They are caused by folder pins (picture insert) 

Little pins that screw into a printing press folder, that drag the paper around the cylinder after it's been cut by the knife box.  

DSCN2457-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing this info guys! I have a The Brave & the Bold 57 (first Metamorpho) that has these pinholes in about half of its interior pages, and I was wondering what they were. They were too organized to be random.

Here a photo of it, and of the cover (my camera got the colors a bit off, but the cover colors are strong and good).

Brave Bold 57 cover.JPG

Brave Bold 57 interior page pinholes.JPG

On 3/23/2020 at 6:25 AM, Kevin76 said:

They aren't a bindery defect, because they are made on the press.  Bindery is where the interior pages get inserted into the covers. 

They are caused by folder pins (picture insert) 

Little pins that screw into a printing press folder, that drag the paper around the cylinder after it's been cut by the knife box.  

DSCN2457-1.jpg

Terrifying. Those poor pages never stood a chance. :(

On 11/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, HarmenB said:

Thanks for sharing this info guys! I have a The Brave & the Bold 57 (first Metamorpho) that has these pinholes in about half of its interior pages, and I was wondering what they were. They were too organized to be random.

Here a photo of it, and of the cover (my camera got the colors a bit off, but the cover colors are strong and good).

Brave Bold 57 cover.JPG

Brave Bold 57 interior page pinholes.JPG

welcome.gif

At first it seems surprising a collector would be unfamiliar with these.  Many of us grew up with printed newspaper comics, and those were an everyday thing with Sunday and daily comics pages.  Modern offset-printed comic books are a different animal.