• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finished Pencils on Vellum

2 posts in this topic

So, I recently acquired a pair of pencils, roughed out in red then finished in lead, that were done on a vellum tracing type paper. They are by Al Wiseman, twice up, and from two different issues of Dennis the Menace from the 50’s. One is inscribed by Wiseman. He did his own pencils and inks from what I have known. Usually I see vellum used for inking such as with Romita. Any thoughts on what the process was here with Wiseman? I’ve only ever seen his inked pages on board. His early pages seem to have a lot of blue pencil underneath, and his later ones (from same era as the pencil pages) don’t have many pencils. I always assumed they were erased. How would an artist transfer finished pencils from one page to the final inked board? In the 1950’s that is...

ps. A few years back I acquired a Dennis daily from 1953 that was pencils on vellum. Looks like Wiseman but was never sure. I thought it might be a prelim, but now I think it might be finished pencils, that were later inked somehow.

2A1C6EA2-1376-43FF-AC08-F53233267398.jpeg

2CC57BB8-C796-4E1D-B1F4-9C19067936C8.jpeg