• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 w/pen marks - need a little help

17 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have the opportunity to purchase a raw Hulk 180 with the value stamp - I have yet to see the book in person but will do so this week. I have some images attached of my key concerns - there are clear pen marks where a vendor (?) has scratched out the 25cent price and written 15cent on cover page with a felt tip pen (?). There also looks to be a couple of pen swirls but they may be pencil marks. There are some stains on the cover, and a little spine roll but I don't see any major creases or major spine ticks(but will assume there may be minor ones). First page looks OW but the rest are nice a crisp W. Best guess without the pen marks is 5.0...

I don't want to send this over to the Grading forum as the images I have are not very good seeing as they are not mine. I could use some help assessing the ballpark grade with the pen marks and more importantly would a press/clean help with any of the mark-up/stains? Given the price I reckon I will pull the trigger as it's a Hulk 180 with value stamp for not a ton of money, but I also want to ensure I am armed with the right information before I do. I try to follow the mantra don't buy the grade, but in this case it's a little more than I am used to spending!

Help!

IH180.PNG

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

Edited by myboyluke
Added more images

The good news is that if the book would otherwise be about a 5.0 without the pen marks, it isn't hurt as much by the pen marks.  I'd say the book is likely to be around a 3.0 if it is a 5.0 plus pen marks.

If the book was otherwise a 9.0 without the pen marks, I'd estimate that the pen marks would knock it down to a 5.0.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The good news is that if the book would otherwise be about a 5.0 without the pen marks, it isn't hurt as much by the pen marks.  I'd say the book is likely to be around a 3.0 if it is a 5.0 plus pen marks.

If the book was otherwise a 9.0 without the pen marks, I'd estimate that the pen marks would knock it down to a 5.0.

Thanks! I reckon I will purchase but this helps me determine how much to offer!

16 hours ago, myboyluke said:

Hello all, 

I have the opportunity to purchase a raw Hulk 180 with the value stamp - I have yet to see the book in person but will do so this week. I have some images attached of my key concerns - there are clear pen marks where a vendor (?) has scratched out the 25cent price and written 15cent on cover page with a felt tip pen (?). There also looks to be a couple of pen swirls but they may be pencil marks. There are some stains on the cover, and a little spine roll but I don't see any major creases or major spine ticks(but will assume there may be minor ones). First page looks OW but the rest are nice a crisp W. Best guess without the pen marks is 5.0...

I don't want to send this over to the Grading forum as the images I have are not very good seeing as they are not mine. I could use some help assessing the ballpark grade with the pen marks and more importantly would a press/clean help with any of the mark-up/stains? Given the price I reckon I will pull the trigger as it's a Hulk 180 with value stamp for not a ton of money, but I also want to ensure I am armed with the right information before I do. I try to follow the mantra don't buy the grade, but in this case it's a little more than I am used to spending!

Help!

IH180.PNG

@joeypost, can you advise on the bolded?

yeah not much pictured in book so hard to asses grade, but I would be more on the 4.0 side in my personal opinion, spine roll staining and that pen and marker hits it a bit.

The press can help the spine roll not much for pen if its pen or marker... if that staining is just grime it might help that.. 

The pen marks have very little to do with the grade of this particular book in that condition. The main issue is that ton of staining and the spine. this is not a 5.0. The reason you are able to get it for not a ton of money is because it is in bad shape and most likely cannot be improved upon with pressing (the stains).

If the price you are paying is less than 175$, then that's fine. If not, then you aren't getting a deal.

Edited by William-James88

I agree with the responses in the thread so far.  With the pics posted I see it in the 3.0 to 3.5 range.

I don't mind buying comics in that grade range but I don't like heavy marker on my comics, so personally, unless it is a REALLY good deal I would pass on this one.

It's hard for me to imagine that back in the day someone had trouble selling this (what would become a key issue) for $.25c and had to lower the price to $.15c.

Edited by gadzukes

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

It's hard for me to imagine that back in the day someone had trouble selling this (what would become a key issue) for $.25c and had to lower the price to $.15c.

I have a couple of sub-#100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man from the Silver Age that have a price sticker of $0.05 on them.  They may have been "used books" at half-cover, but it's really weird to think about them coming into a used book shop and the owner not trying to get the full 12 cents. lol

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I have a couple of sub-#100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man from the Silver Age that have a price sticker of $0.05 on them.  They may have been "used books" at half-cover, but it's really weird to think about them coming into a used book shop and the owner not trying to get the full 12 cents. lol

Still happens now. Some books from Morrison's X-Men run sell for far more than cover price these days due to first appearances and yet I have some of those with price stickers (on the bag containing them) at half the cover price.

12 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I see spine roll that can be fixed along with some light creases on the spine. I am assuming the ink is sharpie and will do some experimenting. 

Is that spineroll? or was it just slightly miswrapped?

Are you handling the press on this Joey?

Edited by gadzukes

21 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I guess I jumped the gun on the spine roll. Would need to see a full back cover scan, as it could be a miswrap.  

Since the staples are on the edge of the spine I'm thinking miswrap, but you're right.... gotta see the back cover.