• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The growing dilemma, where best to buy comics?
4 4

109 posts in this topic

This isn’t a new issue, but I see a growing quandary for comic collectors reflected in the reliance on high profile auctions as the first line of acquisition. In the not-too-distant past past the collecting market was primarily comprised of LCS relationships & convention dealer walls, but the dependence on third party grading combined with dedicated comic auctions over the past 20 years (including eBay, HA, CC, ComicLink, Hakes, et al.) has dramatically shifted the hobby to one of price speculation and direct competition through anonymous bidding. 

I’m not suggesting that there is something inherently wrong with the increased emphasis on auctions and cyclical nature of investment bidding, flipping books and speculation based on media interest.  What concerns me is how the investment dynamic impacts collecting as a hobby and whether the auction based model is sustainable given certain recent trends of higher fees and taxes, more frequent auctions and questionable scans.

I have more thoughts on this, but accidentally hit enter before completing and editing this thread opener.  If you have thoughts on this please share them.  I’ll add more of mine as this discussion progresses.

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

The quality of back issues, especially Gold/Silver/HG Bronze is next to non existent at the  LCSs in my neck of the woods. I have some luck buying from boarders within spitting distance.

For the most part, I either purchase on the boards or through Comic Link/Heritage.

I think that purchases on CGC boards are certainly a large portion of books.  Probably not compared to Ebay, but I would think more than HA, Comicconnect and Comiclink combined.  I think with GA books you just buy them where you find them.  I do still try to go to LCS when I am traveling to see what is there and I still buy comics every Wednesday, though that is as much just for nostalgia and to keep long ongoing relationships with people I have known for many years as it is to get new books which I could do cheaper online.

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This isn’t a new issue, but I see a growing quandary for comic collectors reflected in the reliance on high profile auctions as the first line of acquisition. In the not-too-distant past past the collecting market was primarily comprised of LCS relationships & convention dealer walls, but the dependence on third party grading combined with dedicated comic auctions over the past 20 years (including eBay, HA, CC, ComicLink, Hakes, et al.) has dramatically shifted the hobby to one of price speculation and direct competition through anonymous bidding. 

I’m not suggesting that there is something inherently wrong with the increased emphasis on auctions and cyclical nature of investment bidding, flipping books and speculation based on media interest.  What concerns me is how the investment dynamic impacts collecting as a hobby and whether the auction based model is sustainable given certain recent trends of higher fees and taxes, more frequent auctions and questionable scans.

I have more thoughts on this, but accidentally hit enter before completing and editing this thread opener.  If you have thoughts on this please share them.  I’ll add more of mine as this discussion progresses.

E-Bay has come a long way...down  The best way is collector to collector...always will be..BUT auction is my second choice...no longer comic book conventions and comic book shops..  "the times they are a changing"

I haven't been to a convention in years. There just isn't enough high-grade GA material at the cons here in Michigan. Most of the buy-it-now material on eBay is obscenely overpriced. Sometimes collectors will list their own books at fair prices, but I don't waste time with dealers/flippers.

I will start of by saying I just don’t like auctions and never have. 95% of the time you are overpaying. When you figure in BP, taxes and fees and shipping, that all has to figure into your bid. When the book arrives my first thought I have is what I paid for my latest “pretty”. Kinda takes a little of the gloss off. 

I long ago gave up the big auction houses except occasionally CC. eBay is a carp shoot. The stuff I look for usually goes for emotional prices that make my jaw drop. And, often poor grading and descriptions end up in a lot of returns. 

Conventions have become pretty tough. Again, very little I will “man up” for. Dealers just don’t get the stuff as much anymore and when they do, they hold to their prices pretty close and rightly so. I use the “flea market” approach. I look at the sparkly books on the wall, pull down a few to check pricing. I then hit the boxes as there is where the deals can be found. People are just too lazy and impatient to through. I look on the floor behind their booths and their back tables. Then I ask them for what I want. Often, a dealer with more modern stuff has a few GA books that they feel are not so important. 

I actualy find more books than I can afford right here on the boards. Straight up prices that could on occasion have a little wiggle room and I’m usually dealing with a fellow collector. 

And, like Ryan said, antique stores, estate sales and and flea markets. These are very hit and miss (mostly miss) but often a win as I collect and deal in in many non comic book items. I know most of the dealers and they often search out and save me vintage comics. Connections are everything. I am also very patient and diligent. 

Web sites and comic stores are usually a waste of time.

After 50 years of collecting, I have most of what I really want or have pretty much given up on getting it. There are still discoveries though. 

As I get older I find my money goes more to travel and my other passions. You think comics are hard to find, try finding vintage motorcycle parts...

Edited by Robot Man

Interesting responses, and not too surprising that collecting approaches vary quite a lot.  I do sense frustration that suggests some acquisition methods just aren’t meeting current collecting needs.  Here are a summary of comments thus far edited for emphasis, hopefully without loss of anyone's context...

“I will start of by saying I just don’t like auctions and never have. 95% of the time you are overpaying. When you figure in BP, taxes and fees and shipping, that all has to figure into your bid.” ... I actualy find more books than I can afford right here on the boards. ... Web sites and comic stores are usually a waste of time.”

“I haven't been to a convention in years.  There just isn't enough high-grade GA material at the cons here in Michigan. Most of the buy-it-now material on eBay is obscenely overpriced.“

“I really haven't bought in person from a dealer this century, that I can recall. For me it's eBay (every once in awhile I'll win), HA (but seldom), and online dealers.”

“I would trade my right arm for more dealer stock options to search online between Conventions and auction

”EBay has come a long way...down  The best way is collector to collector...always will be..BUT auction is my second choice...no longer comic book conventions and comic book shops.

“I find that auctions offer a good selection, convenience in regards to avoiding travel and crowds, and are, at the very least, price competitive with dealers at conventions.“

“...I have the whole world at my fingertips.  I have so many more options to find books.  Auctions are the most flashy, but by no means the only choice.“

“I think that purchases on CGC boards are certainly a large portion of books.” ...  “I think with GA books you just buy them where you find them.“

“For the most part, I either purchase on the boards or through Comic Link/Heritage.“

“I do a lot of buying & selling directly with collectors. ... No middle men ... No fees ... No taxes ... No problems...usually!“

“I still buy at LCS', conventions, antique malls, etc. These places are all still viable for the collector's supply chain.“

What if anything, can be gleaned from the views expressed in this thread thus far? Well, the most obvious take away is that there is no panacea for collecting in the current market.  While auction bidding remains competitive and continues to be the accepted norm, I can also see growing discontent with that end of the market.  There appears to be a clear preference for more personal interaction between collectors, but conversely a general disappointment with the convention circuit.  Convenience is very popular with busy collectors, but limited inventory from on-line dealers and LCS seems to be a major frustration for some.  These are just a few of my initial take-always, ...other’s mileage may vary with Dr. Scholl’s inserts.

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Gap between beer and bottom. ;0)

Over the last year I've made all my major purchases here on the cgc boards. I like talking to and establishing relationships with the sellers. 

I've bought a few "fillers" on eBay and I have 2 comic shops I frequent with my son.  We buy a few comics every week at the shop near my house. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

What concerns me is how the investment dynamic impacts collecting as a hobby and whether the auction based model is sustainable given certain recent trends of higher fees and taxes, more frequent auctions and questionable scans.

...not to mention the troubling size of the grade on the CGC labels.