• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The growing dilemma, where best to buy comics?
4 4

109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am pretty convinced that every collector can get exactly what he or she needs at www.bedrockcity.com, or by visiting Bedrock City the next time you are in Houston.

Went in looking for a single series 20, expecting them to not have it so I could post a snarky response.

They have it.  Way overpriced, but they had one :golfclap:

4 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Went in looking for a single series 20, expecting them to not have it so I could post a snarky response.

Thanks for stopping by! The price seems pretty fair to me..

Edited by MrBedrock

10 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

MrBedrock is known for high overhead, ...but his prices are reasonable  :wink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Perspective

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am pretty convinced that every collector can get exactly what he or she needs at www.bedrockcity.com, or by visiting Bedrock City the next time you are in Houston.

Ah, so that's what's been going wrong.  I've been going to Bedrock and looking for Houston City (and not finding it).  Wow, did I have that all mixed up!

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Why is it that I hear a classic Rolling Stones tune in my head every time I read this???   hm

On 2/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, walclark said:

Especially for the Golden Age market, I find that auctions offer a good selection, convenience in regards to avoiding travel and crowds, and are, at the very least, price competitive with dealers at conventions.

That's how I feel. I agree that things could be better. The OP writes about questionable scans but my issue is more like lack of scans. Bot me and Heritage auctions would have benefited from less grief if they bothers posting the back of comics. But I do like that with auctions, you know you are buying at market price (something LCS don,t do, though I've never seen an LCS sell much golden age stuff). Also, in regards to fees the IP described, the final price you pay is unaffected. For instance, no one thinks of the buyer's premium at HA.com as an extra fee on top of what you'd bid, you just incorporate it into your bid. 

I have had enough issues on e-bay to ignore it. HA has its problems but I am glad to have someone between me and a seller for books where a slight issue might mean a difference of over 100$. 

As for other places I get golden age books, Harley Yee at conventions is the only person I have a perfect track record with. His grading is excellent. And buying off him means you are contributing to the price guide, which is always fun for me.

To be fair, I only ever knew this world of GA collecting as it is in the past 10 years so I can't really say if it was better before. But I don't really see a dillema.

Edited by William-James88

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That's how I feel. I agree that things could be better. The OP writes about questionable scans but my issue is more like lack of scans. Bot me and Heritage auctions would have benefited from less grief if they bothers posting the back of comics. But I do like that with auctions, you know you are buying at market price (something LCS don,t do, though I've never seen an LCS sell much golden age stuff). Also, in regards to fees the IP described, the final price you pay is unaffected. For instance, no one thinks of the buyer's premium at HA.com as an extra fee on top of what you'd bid, you just incorporate it into your bid. 

I have had enough issues on e-bay to ignore it. HA has its problems but I am glad to have someone between me and a seller for books where a slight issue might mean a difference of over 100$. 

As for other places I get golden age books, Harley Yee at conventions is the only person I have a perfect track record with. His grading is excellent. And buying off him means you are contributing to the price guide, which is always fun for me.

To be fair, I only ever knew this world of GA collecting as it is in the past 10 years so I can't really say if it was better before. But I don't really see a dillema.

Believe me, it was better. And a heck of a lot less money...(thumbsu

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Believe me, it was better. And a heck of a lot less money...(thumbsu

Oh that last part I know. Some of the books I bought on have the old prices of what they were selling for in the 90s written in the back and it makes me wish I was around with disposable income back then.

It is really all about perspective. Books were a whole lot less but I had a whole lot less to spend on them. I remember being handed a vg ish copy of Action #1 and was told $300. Might as well have been a million bucks to me at the time. At $2.00 an hour, it would have taken me forever to save up for it. 

When I started, there was no internet, no Overstreet and very few conventions. Howard Rogofsky and a couple couple mail order dealers. Word of mouth, garage sales, flea markets and used book stores were about it. I would put up notices on the bulletin board at the market and even went door to door with my little red wagon asking people for comics. (Actually worked fairly well). 

Times are different now. Much easier to obtain stuff. Problem is there are so many more people looking and prices have risen to the point where I rarely want to pay. But as I said, it’s all relative...

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Why is it that I hear a classic Rolling Stones tune in my head every time I read this???   hm

I love the Stones....

....Fred and Wilma.

My LCS here in W Connecticut rarely has GA so most of my purchases come from either the boards, EBay, or the 3 auction houses.  The boards, MCS, Bedrock City, eBay and ComicLink seem to (occasionally) have the best prices. Heritage has great product but prices and the bp are onerous. Comicconnect usually gets very high prices but no bp is nice. ComicLink does charge a 3 percent bp but GA seems to sell the most below GPA. Basically I usually overpay for everything.