• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Wolverine Limited Series #4
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Ok, please indulge me again. I submitted my Wolverine #4 for grading and it came back lower than I expected. Please let me know what you think is a fair grade for this one. I included a couple of close ups of a visible water stain on the bottom corner. The rest of my set (#1, 2 and 3) all came back 9.6 and are in identical condition as this one, except for the water stain. Would that alone be enough to downgrade this to 9.0?

scans_20200225_183504_0001.thumb.jpg.c66bcbfed355f48652a727b74a38c00c.jpgscans_20200225_183504_0002.thumb.jpg.a653a28185ede9731628005f1190bd6c.jpg456817135_PhotoFeb2564124PM.thumb.jpg.06018101bd9935c1769def67e745e8f2.jpg990167707_PhotoFeb2564133PM.thumb.jpg.722b5751150703714817561fd7dfda77.jpg

12 hours ago, DedalusMan said:

Ok, please indulge me again. I submitted my Wolverine #4 for grading and it came back lower than I expected. Please let me know what you think is a fair grade for this one. I included a couple of close ups of a visible water stain on the bottom corner. The rest of my set (#1, 2 and 3) all came back 9.6 and are in identical condition as this one, except for the water stain. Would that alone be enough to downgrade this to 9.0?

In this case - yes.

Ok, thanks for the feedback! I didn't realize water stains were such a downer for CGC. Does anyone know if dry cleaning can remove water stains like this? I think I read somewhere that it cannot, but if anyone knows differently, please let me know!

Thanks.

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

the stain definitely brought it down , CGC hammers stains ....

Although a stain can severely impact the grade on even the nicest condition books from any era, a stain like this tends to have a more detrimental effect on a Copper or Bronze age book versus a Golden or Silver age one in general. Due to greater availability of high grade copies, most hobbyists are less tolerant for stains on post Silver age books.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:46 AM, DedalusMan said:

Ok, thanks for the feedback! I didn't realize water stains were such a downer for CGC. Does anyone know if dry cleaning can remove water stains like this? I think I read somewhere that it cannot, but if anyone knows differently, please let me know!

Thanks.

Dry cleaning will not remove that type of water stain. The browning is a result of the paper taking on a spongelike effect where it’s been absorbed into the fibers and not solely on the surface of the book

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 8:27 AM, B2D327 said:

Dry cleaning will not remove that type of water stain. The browning is a result of the paper taking on a spongelike effect where it’s been absorbed into the fibers and not solely on the surface of the book

Exactly, which is the lead and #1 reason by far as to why Joey Post hates stains, makes no secret of it at all, and the mere mention of stains can set him off like a roman candle, a thing best not to chance when dealing with a Wizard!

(worship) 

Wiz.gif