• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

Batman 227 and 423 are the first that immediately come to mind.  I still think 75% of HOS 92's value comes from the cover alone, but that doesn't fit the criteria for entry.  I'm not sure if Hulk 341 should be in here either.  It does have the first Marvel appearance of the "classic" McFarlane style, but again, that cover contributes to most of its success.   

2 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

Batman 227 and 423 are the first that immediately come to mind.  I still think 75% of HOS 92's value comes from the cover alone, but that doesn't fit the criteria for entry.  I'm not sure if Hulk 341 should be in here either.  It does have the first Marvel appearance of the "classic" McFarlane style, but again, that cover contributes to most of its success.   

340 :gossip:

There are no books that are key because of the cover... with the possible exception of something like CSS 22.

There are, however, many books that derive the vast majority of their demand (and subsequent value) from a popular cover.

1 hour ago, mysterymachine said:

There are a number of 50's Horror books that could fall into this category, and of course someone will post that infamous Archie book. Are you sure you want to go down this road?  :shy:

As long as the book is many multiples in value greater than surrounding issues, and only cover-based, yes.

15 minutes ago, kav said:

As long as the book is many multiples in value greater than surrounding issues

That's still not what key means.

This thread is actually about books that have popular covers but are otherwise completely unremarkable.