• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't know whether to cry or vomit.

The cover of ASM 33 is nothing special without the context of what must be Ditko's best-known and greatest story sequence inside the damn book.

Wait ... these books that seem to be all the rage here have ... insides to them?

ShawSurprise.JPG

55 minutes ago, Hudson said:
1 hour ago, Yorick said:

You Baker haters.  :makepoint:  Open a copy of one of those romance books and take a peek at the lovely interiors.  Many of those stories are terrific too.

I guess you might say Giant 12 is primarily valuable due to the cover, but since each one is composed of returned copies of other St John issues - who can say if the interiors don't play a role?

Hate Baker???? Not a chance.  Just the opposite.  Baker (with his awesome covers) perhaps put romance comics on the map.  Without his covers, I would venture to think many romance comics might still be relegated to the dollar bin.

Yup.  I love Baker as well.  But looking at EBay there are tons of romance comics going for $5/$10/$15.  Except the Baker covers, which go for around 200 times that.  Ergo romance comics don't have much of a following.  Baker has a huge following.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Batman 251 is the return of the psychotic murderer (after many years of the goofy clown) 

Yup. Classic cover, brilliant characterisation, some of Neal Adams’ greatest ever artwork.

No standout features whatsoever inside it. :facepalm:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Here's a question: Is it willful ignorance to claim a book is nothing special without the cover and then flatly reject a good explanation of why that's not true?

In the case of ASM 33, it’s odd, for sure. Some people consider The Master Planner arc the best story of the entire Silver Age.

7B007379-89DD-4977-B9C3-3BFF6077262D.thumb.jpeg.472366b391b1d845844fceb5226faa35.jpeg

21 hours ago, kav said:

Books that have no first appearance or other relevant factor besides the cover that makes em valuable.  Also any info about how the book became popular a bonus!  I'll kick it off with this one:

You have an uncanny knack for started interesting threads kav  !! not only just interesting , but potentially lucrative too !!

:tink: