• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Thanks to those who caught the spirit of the thread and have posted some interesting covers I was not aware of.  To those with grudges that go after me whenever i start a thread, that's just part of doing business.  Not gonna lose sleep over it.

Were you already aware of just how HUGE a key Peter Panda #5 was before this thread ????

it's on my bucket list (worship)

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

hm I'm pretty sure their value comes from the appearance of Batman's top villain rather than the covers. At least for most of them.

I believe that Joker appeared in a number of early Golden Age Batman and Detective comics in which he didn't appear on the cover, but it's the ones where he's on the cover that are more valuable than surrounding issues.

1 hour ago, Superman2006 said:

I believe that Joker appeared in a number of early Golden Age Batman and Detective comics in which he didn't appear on the cover, but it's the ones where he's on the cover that are more valuable than surrounding issues.

Nobody ever said that covers can't contribute to the value of any book, but this thread is about issues that owe (basically) all their value to the cover.

The problem is that, for most comics, it's impossible to break down how much each element contributes to the demand and subsequent value. But then there are those that have well-known covers, yet you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a few people who could tell you what's between the covers.

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:

961019768_GIJoespecial.jpg.bc69404085cd0e5a022448630486b385.jpg

I think the previously unpublished McFarlane interiors contribute more than nothing to the value (not to mention the relative rarity), though the swipe cover certainly doesn't hurt.