• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2020 at 9:53 PM, Von Cichlid said:

Dude, I was talking about the Man-Bull.  :blush:

Awesome. I saw this and bought every copy eBay had left. I'll add those to my stash of #341 I've been hoarding for years. I'll finally cash in when Man-Bull hits the theaters and is making BULLions of dollars. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:33 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Mega-Key comic due solely because of it's cover..

Atlas War Comics #11

War Comics #11

That cover is only worth 10 cents. Says so on the cover :banana: Talk about shooting fish in a barrel! We don't need no stinkin' sniper.

naww, it's not done. Alot of it comes down to the art, or even wordplay with the archies mentioned above. Look at Cole (whom I love)  it's the covers that are the draw 9/10 times with him. Batman 227 imho opinion is a classic "key" cover book, even thought its a tribute to a golden age det cover, but off the top of my head I don't know if there is anything important inside the book. Covers do matter if they didn't the great chromium mines in the world would have went under during the 90's.

Edited by unclezebo

On 2/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, Lazyboy said:

There are no books that are key because of the cover... with the possible exception of something like CSS 22.

There are, however, many books that derive the vast majority of their demand (and subsequent value) from a popular cover.

Bingo

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Assuming you actually mean all modern incentive variants with alternate cover art, most of them are nothing special and just the rarity, in and of itself, can be a significant driver of value for at least some of them.

Yes - that is what I meant.

I don't subscribe to additional meanings of "keys", though. I just figure if you're (not you you) gonna drum this up with "art makes a key" thing, then that might be the thing you're looking for. Meaningful covers already have the whole "classic/iconic cover" designation.