• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, kav said:

Thanks to those who caught the spirit of the thread and have posted some interesting covers I was not aware of.  To those with grudges that go after me whenever i start a thread, that's just part of doing business.  Not gonna lose sleep over it.

To be fair... this is a pretty interesting thread. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, october said:

Literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of golden age comics that fall into this category. 

Yes, like Suspense 3 and other truly classic cover books which have significantly higher value than their neighboring mid-run issues, here's a few more:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All-American Comics #61 (DC, 1944) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages....

ama3.205a.jpg

tar2.244a.jpg

On 2/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, William-James88 said:

But hey, since I'm here, here's one that would count, master Comics 33

Large Thumbnail For Master Comics #33

Master 33 is definitely a good one when it comes to classic Raboy cover, but the one which I think really stands out and still much under appreciated and undervalued is this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett, 1942) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages. Mac Raboy cover and art. Overstreet doesn't designate this Ca...

Must be an extremely tough book to find since this was the highest graded slabbed copy that I could find and it's all the way from way back in 2003.  :whatthe:

On 2/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, Joshua33 said:

I would think these would qualify.

20190820_211340.jpg

Well, if the above All-Top 16 qualifies, then this one here by Baker should also be a sure fire winner:

sev1.82a.jpg

Definitely must be the classic Baker cover as this nicely presenting copy relative to its assigned grade managed to fetched $13,200 in a CC Auction back in 2018.  :flipbait:

On 3/5/2020 at 11:19 PM, Beige said:

Surely these must win the thread!

5.jpg.ca7605e9f703a0bcd99329c21d3f7f2f.jpg

6.jpg.9acf19684708307f7748c0d2d06d7bca.jpg

On 3/6/2020 at 4:06 AM, Ryan. said:

The Bill Ward art on the inside is even spicier than the covers. 

I still remember way back in the day when these 2 classic Torchy covers was the go to books to acquire when it came to Bill Ward cover art.  :cloud9:

And yes, the Bill Ward interior artwork throughout these books was most definitely a whole lot more spicier than the rather "tame in comparison" artwork on the covers.  :luhv:

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I might have posted this already 

xDetective-Comics-880.jpg.pagespeed.ic.yFmwLSIgXT.jpg

Again, I wouldn't say cover alone drives the value as the OP requested:

• A Joker appearance will already cause at least a modest bump in almost any Batman issue.
  • It had a low print run relative to the rest of the series. 
  • It's both the penultimate issue from a writer/story that is held in very high regard by fans and of the original 'Tec run itself.

No doubt the cover is most of the recognition, but these other factors have substance beyond the eye candy and all come together for this one book which helped justify the higher price as it began to escalate.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Am I the only person who doesn't like this cover?

It transcends the standard monthly comic cover. I love that it's disturbing, risky and surreal. It's also a contemporary, striking and original realization which perfectly complements the character. Honestly, you shouldn't want to look at the Joker: He represents madness, cruelty, murder -- the worst of humanity. Yet this image has the power to draw you in because you really have to get into the detail of it, going against the viewer's (most likely) initial reaction to be somewhat repulsed. From there, it provokes further thought about his relationship with the Bat. Is it pleasing to look at? Perhaps no, but I think it is one of the best, most faithful interpretations of the crazy, psychopathic Joker I've ever seen.

The whole idea of Joker bugs me.  I have dealt with actual insane people.  They do not make good masterminds about anything.  They tend to get apprehended quickly, for one thing.