• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pure Hate in this Article is Astounding
1 1

232 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, slym2none said:

You do know that this is the day & age of the internet, where people go there and vent/whine about anything and everything, right? And not that I sought this article out, but I am much more likely to read something like this out of nowhere than Kylie Jenner's latest big-butt fashion tips.

Wait, of course you know that, you just did what that comic shop owner did - go on the internet and say something that was on your mind.

(thumbsu

-slym

Kylie Jenner has big-butt fashion tips?

2 hours ago, slym2none said:

:facepalm:

-slym

Why palm the face? Just off the top of my head we had Peter David's Hulk, Ennis' Preacher (Hellblazer, too), Gaiman's Sandman, James Robinson's Starman. There's plenty more good stuff. Sure, there was a lot of garbage. But when wasn't there?

11 hours ago, kav said:

This is good stuff. The publishers obviously haven't (and probably won't) listen, but it's spot-on. The only thing that will stop the variant madness will be an economic bludgeoning.

21 minutes ago, bb8 said:

This is good stuff. The publishers obviously haven't (and probably won't) listen, but it's spot-on. The only thing that will stop the variant madness will be an economic bludgeoning.

See I just read this and it completely changes my opinion of him (for the better obviously).  Not that it matters, but it just shows you what can happen to a cause when anger is introduced.  Based on Brian's 10 points it seems Diamond is responsible for a lot of this mess and has no interest in remedying anything.  That seems super shady to me.  I know none of this is new but I've never spent the time to find out how diamond operates so its eye opening.  

Edited by comicquant

39 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Why palm the face? Just off the top of my head we had Peter David's Hulk, Ennis' Preacher (Hellblazer, too), Gaiman's Sandman, James Robinson's Starman. There's plenty more good stuff. Sure, there was a lot of garbage. But when wasn't there?

That part isn't why I gave the facepalm.

-slym

On 2/28/2020 at 3:50 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

In the shops facebook post about Batman #89 it mentions that the staff will judge if you're a real batman fan. That was what left me scratching my head.

Thats madness. Imagine going in to get one and being told that. The idea that a retailer would deny service like that is crazy.

If your worried about meeting your regulars demands dont you just hold some back then tell those who are still looking that some may drop out of pull boxes and they should call in a week (or whatever date you decide to put them back out).

I get the guys concern for the industry but cant people who want the story read it digitally? Can they not buy the TPB? It also doesnt really apply to this issue. If 1 and 2 were failures then hardly anyones reading it anyway.

Should he not be happy that the speculation on issue 3 is helping him move on his stock of #1 and #2?

It always feels weird when shop owners are complaining that people are in the shop wanting to buy something.

1 hour ago, BL4Z3 said:

If I change a word can you see the difference?

You can change it to anything you like it doesnt change that this shop has something to sell and is unhappy that someone is trying to buy it. Oh but its the wrong TYPE of person you say. Oh, but I dont care, say I.

1 hour ago, BL4Z3 said:

Regulars order their copies from Previews two months in advance.

I was meaning more regulars who come to the shop but dont always buy Bats or even DC but may want it.

2 hours ago, nickdemeato said:

get the guys concern for the industry but cant people who want the story read it digitally? Can they not buy the TPB?

"You guys who read comics? Yeah, you'll have to do it digitally, or wait for the trade to come out. This book's for people to make money on, not read!"

The Final Order Cutoff at Diamond is now 3 weeks. As I understand it, it's the Monday three weeks before the books are shipped out from the printer.

If you want to speculate, you ought to place your order with your local retailer...or even your own Diamond account...and then the publisher will print those copies just for you.

Buying something that is already selling for a premium so you can flip it, is not...repeat, is not..."speculation", because there is no risk involved (the kind of risk that would make it speculation.)

I THINK it has to do with Diamond Comic Distributors - the company's revenue is $500 million last year.  The numbers of comic books stores have been dwindled since mid-1990's as far as I remember.

My dad tried to help me to set up the comic book store in 2006 after my son was born AND one week later, I was laid off (it was a nice gesture of the company).  The first step started with Diamond Comic Distributors.  They DEMANDED us to have a brick and mortar plus online retailer and we were required to order books and products at LEAST $425 a month that already killed us off.  It's no further step for us after we found some small places no larger than 20' x 30' room but the retail space rental went over $9000 a month.  It went FAR beyond our control. It's too late for us to start the business.

For Brian as the comic book owner, I understood why he was frustrated.  Not just the speculators who exploited the books. The corporations controlled him and his money. He may lose his passion over the comic books.  HATERED already ate him up.

Edited by JollyComics

On 2/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Whilst, as a lover of the medium, I find it hard to disagree with the general sentiments, people can read the issues online. And he's really only railing against human nature. If there's a way to make a buck, people will do it whatever the medium. Lots of ways to make a buck with comics, many of which can appear 'unseemly'. If you queue up to get your favourite artist to sign one book, because you love their work, you're a fan. Get him to sign 50 books though....

50 books? Must be a SUPER FAN! :bigsmile: I once saw a guy pull a red wagon behind him that probably had 4 stacks of 100 raw books. He pulled it up to the artist and asked him if he was signing and he said yeah, how many you want signed. He said all of them. :roflmao:The artist was kind enough to say ok, but he would have to leave them there for him to sign later. 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, BL4Z3 said:

I can see you don't understand. Sorry.

That proves my point even more. If they don't read Bats or DC, why do they want to buy this book all of a sudden? One answer: greed.

If they didn't order it from Previews or put it on their Pull List in a timely manner, screw 'em.

I think I understand just fine. This is not something overly complicated.

I am saying that as a retailer who is in business to sell new comics to those who want them, he should sell comics to those who want them. I dont care that he doesnt like flippers. I dont care if he has Tony Tuesdays and wont sell to anyone not named Tony. Or he wont sell a statue to someone who he thinks doesnt like the character enough or insert any type of person and a reason not to sell them something. I dont think thats a good idea for a retailer. Can that really be a wild opinion to hold. Should the guy have the right to refuse service to whoever he wants. Yes. Is it going to be good for business. Not Likely.

You are correct that someone who wants to buy the copy that didnt buy the others is wanting to flip that for money. So what? Especially if the retailer isnt going to sell them for the extra. Is it that hard for the guy to go count the number of #1s and #2s he has sold and keep at least that many #3's aside to make sure those people (his customers) can continue the series? Hes already leveraging #3 to get people to buy up his stock of #1 + #2's and good for him.

Maybe your right, maybe I dont understand it. Maybe telling current customers and potential customers to F off is the way to do business. I just dont think so. Wild and crazy I know.

8 minutes ago, nickdemeato said:

I think I understand just fine. This is not something overly complicated.

I am saying that as a retailer who is in business to sell new comics to those who want them, he should sell comics to those who want them. I dont care that he doesnt like flippers. I dont care if he has Tony Tuesdays and wont sell to anyone not named Tony. Or he wont sell a statue to someone who he thinks doesnt like the character enough or insert any type of person and a reason not to sell them something. I dont think thats a good idea for a retailer. Can that really be a wild opinion to hold. Should the guy have the right to refuse service to whoever he wants. Yes. Is it going to be good for business. Not Likely.

You are correct that someone who wants to buy the copy that didnt buy the others is wanting to flip that for money. So what? Especially if the retailer isnt going to sell them for the extra. Is it that hard for the guy to go count the number of #1s and #2s he has sold and keep at least that many #3's aside to make sure those people (his customers) can continue the series? Hes already leveraging #3 to get people to buy up his stock of #1 + #2's and good for him.

Maybe your right, maybe I dont understand it. Maybe telling current customers and potential customers to F off is the way to do business. I just dont think so. Wild and crazy I know.

#ApostrophesTriggered

On 2/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

"You guys who read comics? Yeah, you'll have to do it digitally, or wait for the trade to come out. This book's for people to make money on, not read!"

I think you are quoting something I did not say.

For the retailer the book is for selling. He is refusing to do this as he doesnt like what some people do with it after. I think he should be able to do this, I do not think it is a good way to do business.