• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pure Hate in this Article is Astounding
1 1

232 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You can be wrong and unacceptable of the facts. That's your prerogative. You're still wrong, though.

I would suggest not inferring emotion from emotionless text RE: the bold.

Tough to enjoy a hobby when spec drek buyers/flippers are ruining it at the expense of our experience. All the while people like you enable their ill intentions. (tsk)

I read alot of comics and will continue to read them.

I will also use my hobby to pay for my hobby. I am not a wed. warrior and never will be. 

Opinion is not Fact . Nobody has shown any facts that the industry is being destroyed by speculators.

Will it slow down yes thats just natural. 

People started complaining about flippers or speculators around 2012 killing the industry. Well it hasnt and it wont.

Now i'm going to go read Batman 90 and have some coffee. Maybe i will sell it after i read it oh no. Thats going to destroy the comic book industry.

Everybody have a good morning. The Sky is not falling .

Read comics or Flip Them just have fun in the hobby. 

I am done on this subject.

1 minute ago, siro123 said:

I will also use my hobby to pay for my hobby. I am not a wed. warrior and never will be. 

Opinion is not Fact . Nobody has shown any facts that the industry is being destroyed by speculators.

People started complaining about flippers or speculators around 2012 killing the industry. Well it hasnt and it wont.

Now i'm going to go read Batman 90 and have some coffee. Maybe i will sell it after i read it oh no. Thats going to destroy the comic book industry.

Are you?

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

Books that have just hit market at cover price, shouldn't be valued at $25.00 the next morning, its ridiculous. People from young and old should have 'most' comic books readily available to them, especially moderns 

I haven't bought a book that just hit market since Maximum Carnage...

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I haven't bought a book that just hit market since Maximum Carnage...

My point exactly.

You buy for speculative purposes only, and that is the problem in a nutshell. A book cannot see the open market at the value it really is...

6 minutes ago, siro123 said:

Incorrect. You've already contradicted yourself.

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

My point exactly.

You buy for speculative purposes only, and that is the problem in a nutshell. A book cannot see the open market at the value it really is...

Call me speculative if you want, but I enjoy buying slabs and first appearances...and you won't see me buying drivel....

We determine the market as collectors to the hobby, so ultimately it is our fault because of this...

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Call me speculative if you want, but I enjoy buying slabs and first appearances...and you won't see me buying drivel....

We determine the market as collectors to the hobby, so ultimately it is our fault because of this...

People speculating to flip, though, aren't collectors and are impacting the hobby by ruining it (not completely, but heavily contributing to the path). I am not calling you that, FTR.

There are people who both collect and deal, but the people who only flip are the problem. That's who this particular discussion pertains to.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are people who both collect and deal, but the people who only flip are the problem. That's who this particular discussion pertains to.

It's hard to disagree with that...I was at a recent show and noticed a guy looking for a New Teen Titans 2 to complete a run, I showed him my slabbed CGC SS Perez and Wolfman and he said...

"I buy to complete runs, not flip books"

The comment confused me...there is alot of division in the collecting community and perception of things contribute to it

Edited by Hollywood1892

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's hard to disagree with that...I was at a recent show and noticed a guy looking for a New Teen Titans 2 to complete a run, I showed him my slabbed CGC SS Perez and Wolfman and he said...

The comment confused me...there is alot of division in the collecting community and perception of things contribute to it

That's a strong indicator that CGC is still a "niche", maybe he wanted a raw. I haven't spoken to too many run collectors though. I only know the thoughts of LCS that one like's slabs and the other doesn't, polar opposites :shy: 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's hard to disagree with that...I was at a recent show and noticed a guy looking for a New Teen Titans 2 to complete a run, I showed him me slabbed CGC SS Perez and Wolfman and he said

The comment confused me...there is alot of division in the collecting community

To further clarify my sentiments: I am only referring to new comic books. Not people who are in the business of selling comic books, buy something Marvel SA for $500, and sell it for $600.

What's the point of DC comics being $4 cover price if they're never worth that much? $4 is already a decent amount for a comic book.

People don't even know if this character is complete a-double-s or not. The character could suck complete whatever and the comic worth $1 in 2 months. But, the spec drek flippers are extorting people who want to buy this to read it (in its natural form). It's just awful.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's a strong indicator that CGC is still a "niche", maybe he wanted a raw. I haven't spoken to too many run collectors though. I only know the thoughts of LCS that one like's slabs and the other doesn't, polar opposites :shy: 

I actually went into IMO the most despised LCS in the city for a little galavant and there was 0 CGC. On a wall in the back they had a litany of CGC books on commission. It goes to show people don't want to pay a premium on plastic

The fact that someone saw a "slab as flipping" though is hmmmmm, but I can see how @Hollywood1892 got confused though.

After 20 years of CGC you'd think it would lose a stigma.....

Given my LCS, the one that doesn't like slabs still sends in high grade older books, because he wants market value, but they usually aren't sold in store :foryou: 

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

To further clarify my sentiments: I am only referring to new comic books. Not people who are in the business of selling comic books, buy something Marvel SA for $500, and sell it for $600.

What's the point of DC comics being $4 cover price if they're never worth that much? $4 is already a decent amount for a comic book.

People don't even know if this character is complete a-double-s or not. The character could suck complete whatever and the comic worth $1 in 2 months. But, the spec drek flippers are extorting people who want to buy this to read it (in its natural form). It's just awful.

Exactly

There are books where they kill the character off in the next book, and people are chasing their tails in anticipation in between issues

On 3/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, Lazyboy said:
On 3/2/2020 at 11:35 PM, nickdemeato said:

While some potential is better than no potential all you have at that moment either way is one comic sale. Nothing more. If someone is reaching you cash for something your selling take it. You have no way of knowing. So take things in your own hands and manage your stock for the benefit of your regulars. Complaining about speccers helps no one.

Why do you never acknowledge the fact that if a comic is as hot as the one(s) in question that it's a seller's market? There's no reason for a store to sell a hot new book to somebody that they know is ultimately hurting them for their own benefit. Smart stores consider more than just short-term gain.

If the comic isn't new or hot, that's a different story, but in that case they aren't getting any money from those who expect to go shopping and find a $20 bill on the shelf marked at $5.

I didnt feel the need to. It is a sellers market. I didnt think that was in the discussion. The person who has the thing everyone wants is in control.

I agree, the comic shop should do what is best for them.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:05 PM, nickdemeato said:

If your worried about meeting your regulars demands dont you just hold some back then tell those who are still looking that some may drop out of pull boxes and they should call in a week (or whatever date you decide to put them back out).

Thats from my 1st post on this. I agree with you. The comic shop should do what is best for their long term. Ive said that from the start. I have no problem with that. Im saying this guys ranting and swearing in a bleeding cool article when all he has to do is manage his stock for the benefit of his customers.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, Lazyboy said:

If the comic isn't new or hot, that's a different story, but in that case they aren't getting any money from those who expect to go shopping and find a $20 bill on the shelf marked at $5.

I mean if they do have a $20 on sale for $5 then they make the $5. Which is what they wanted for the $20, otherwise they would have asked more?

I think we basically agree, Its on the shop to make sure they get what they need and its run for long term success. I just dont think its good to put everything on general sale then blame flippers when the shop sells them what they ask and they have nothing left for regular readers. They need to take action to prevent that, as hoping that flippers care more about your other customers is not likely to happen.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The fact that someone saw a "slab as flipping" though is hmmmmm, but I can see how @Hollywood1892 got confused though.

After 20 years of CGC you'd think it would lose a stigma.....

Given my LCS, the one that doesn't like slabs still sends in high grade older books, because he wants market value, but they usually aren't sold in store :foryou: 

I can't say the same for shows

Tbh when it comes to what money is being exchanged at shows, the majority of it is CGC books...people have alot of dollar bins to complete runs, but the high dollar being exchanged is CGC.

LCS are to stubborn to see the wolf in the hen house

What do you have more of a chance of selling 500 $1 books or a FA 9.8 CGC book valued at $500? Personally I haven't bought a raw book in a long time, and if it's a modern I'm just trying to hit a 9.8

CGC is the true 'flip' and pushes value of books, spec flippers are just uggh...like what about that Major X book, nobody even cares about it

Edited by Hollywood1892