• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet ANOTHER Ebay shipping fail.....
2 2

49 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

As long as there is no damage to the book itself or the inner well, a simple reholder would still be possible...  (thumbsu

Thanks Lions Den. I do wonder something though. Say there is no damage to the book itself or the inner well. BUT the seal being broken (as appears to be the case). How would CGC know that either the person who recieved the book or the seller didn't break it open and switched a signed book with another of a lesser graded holder (say a 9.4) ?

If it was me and I really liked the book, first I would consult CGC about the reholdering, just to make sure it can be without ruining the SS status.  Once they say yes to that I would have it reholdered and ask for a refund from the seller for those fees and shipping.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks Lions Den. I do wonder something though. Say there is no damage to the book itself or the inner well. BUT the seal being broken (as appears to be the case). How would CGC know that either the person who recieved the book or the seller didn't break it open and switched a signed book with another of a lesser graded holder (say a 9.4) ?

What a sneaky thing to do...  (tsk)

23 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:
4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

What a sneaky thing to do...  (tsk)

I think he's asking if it's possible? Which I dont think it is, the sealed mylar that the book is encased in also has the label encased, the slab being unsealed doesn't matter to my knowledge.

And barring all that, cgc would determine that it needs to be regraded if it waw all too far gone for sure (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think he's asking if it's possible? Which I dont think it is, the sealed mylar that the book is encased in also has the label encased, the slab being unsealed doesn't matter to my knowledge.

And barring all that, cgc would determine that it needs to be regraded if it waw all too far gone for sure (thumbsu

I didn't mean to imply that our friend William-James88 was planning on anything nefarious. But I have seen a lot of shady things over the years...especially when I worked for CGC.   

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Correct. There has to be adequate packaging or the postal service will deny the claim. And this packaging is a long way from "adequate"...   :facepalm:

^ this

the postal service is not responsible for how the sender packed the item. Their job is to get it from A to B. There’s no proof it wasn’t already damaged beforehand even though you and I know better 

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was actually contemplating sending it in for the reholder myself, but..... I now think I'm just going to send it back to the seller for the refund.  

The seller was super apologetic and answered my emails lightning quick which is a good sign.  The seller said even though he is selling some comics right now, he's not a comic person and he had never mailed a CGC slab before and simply didn't think much about it.  Whatever..... I'm going to send it back and be done with it.

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I was actually contemplating sending it in for the reholder myself, but..... I now think I'm just going to send it back to the seller for the refund.  

The seller was super apologetic and answered my emails lightning quick which is a good sign.  The seller said even though he is selling some comics right now, he's not a comic person and he had never mailed a CGC slab before and simply didn't think much about it.  Whatever..... I'm going to send it back and be done with it.

The last part surprises me.  Even if the seller isn't familiar with graded comics, the seller is fully aware that the auction ended at over $1000.  I'm not sure I can think of a single thing that sells for over even $300 that I'd feel comfortable shipping in a bag/envelope.  For me, anything with a price tag that high should go in a box. 

I'm glad to hear they're cooperating.  Good on them for that.  I hope they use the opportunity to learn.  I'd say it's a cheap lesson, but I don't fully understand how Paypal's new refund policy works.  It might be a little more costly than it used to be. 

24 minutes ago, Turtle said:

The last part surprises me.  Even if the seller isn't familiar with graded comics, the seller is fully aware that the auction ended at over $1000.  I'm not sure I can think of a single thing that sells for over even $300 that I'd feel comfortable shipping in a bag/envelope.  For me, anything with a price tag that high should go in a box. 

I'm glad to hear they're cooperating.  Good on them for that.  I hope they use the opportunity to learn.  I'd say it's a cheap lesson, but I don't fully understand how Paypal's new refund policy works.  It might be a little more costly than it used to be. 

I agree with you 100%.  I can only think they thought the slab was indestructible so it was safe to send it that way.  But seriously.... no padding or cardboard?  The saddest part is..... you would think no one could be that dumb, but I've had at least 2 other slabs sent to me in an envelope in the last 10 years.  The lesson here is.... NEVER assume good packing.  ALWAYS ask for secure shipping.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, gadzukes said:

You already know how this ends..... :facepalm:

This package came in the mail today.  When I felt the package I knew it was a CGC slab because THERE WAS NO CARDBOARD and I could simply feel the plastic thru the envelope.

SO I paid over $1000 for this and the seller couldn't take the time to use cardboard, padding, or a box.  doh!

The slab is opening about half way down one side.  The comic appears to be ok.

The seller said he would try to get some insurance for me, but when the PO insurance sees these pics won't they just say "Um... where's the packing protection?"

So..... should I have the seller pay for a reholder plus shipping?  Just send it back and get my money back?  See if he's able to get some insurance out of it?

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I read your post, and through the many helpful replies. I learned a bit from those to (so thanks y'awl).

I have little to add that hasn't been said before. So I'll just say I'm sorry for your pain, and I hope the return and refund works out well for you. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes

Stephen

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I agree with you 100%.  I can only think they thought the slab was indestructible so it was safe to send it that way.  But seriously.... no padding or cardboard?  The saddest part is..... you would think no one could be that dumb, but I've had at least 2 other slabs sent to me in an envelope in the last 10 years.  The lesson here is.... NEVER assume good packing.  ALWAYS ask for secure shipping.

lol I NEVER ask for secure shipping.  I always feel it's insulting to the seller.  I find it insulting when the buyer sends a message saying "be sure to pack this securely for shipping! (tsk)".   My outgoing message reads "You got it, boss!".  My inner monologue is "This guy must think I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person!". 

If my feedback is littered with comments like "flimsy packaging" or the like, then sure, a gentle nudge is warranted.  But when my feedback is loaded with "fast/secure shipping" comments, don't call me a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, please.  :foryou:

Different strokes... :smile:

15 hours ago, gadzukes said:

If the seller has more to sell, this is the best way for them to learn.

Much like the recent thread concerning a new buyer; It isn't the buyer's job to educate the seller (aside from returning an item) any more than it's the seller's job to educate the buyer.