• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration pressing service

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys was thinking about having hero restoration do some comic pressing for me and was wondering if any of you have experience with them? Im one to always be worried about other people touching my books so I'm a bit hesitant so wanted to see if anyone here can chime in. Thanks!

Yup, I now only use Mike at Hero Restoration for any of my pre-submission pressing that I can't do myself (I'm comfortable working with newer stuff, but anything super valuable or golden age I leave to the professionals), as well as for restoration work (have found his work to be the best, especially for the costs compared to other restoration providers).

On 2/27/2020 at 10:58 AM, Spider-Guy said:

Hey guys was thinking about having hero restoration do some comic pressing for me and was wondering if any of you have experience with them? Im one to always be worried about other people touching my books so I'm a bit hesitant so wanted to see if anyone here can chime in. Thanks!

Did you end up using their service. Im curious as I was thinking about trying them out too. Mostly because I wanted to try the CGC grade prescreen service. Where you send in 25 books and set a grade for a floor and they only grade and encapsulate the books that pass a prescreening. I was thinking of sending him the batch first; prescreen himself, press what he thought needed pressing and leave the rest alone. Then send them in for the CGC service, the thought process was that this would leave a higher rate of success. But I dont know if that possible.

6 hours ago, 956Ref said:

Did you end up using their service. Im curious as I was thinking about trying them out too. Mostly because I wanted to try the CGC grade prescreen service. Where you send in 25 books and set a grade for a floor and they only grade and encapsulate the books that pass a prescreening. I was thinking of sending him the batch first; prescreen himself, press what he thought needed pressing and leave the rest alone. Then send them in for the CGC service, the thought process was that this would leave a higher rate of success. But I dont know if that possible.

He totally can do that, as he offers a few levels of pre-screen service. The basic screen: Pre-screen for a minimum grade is $2 per book. (Can be screened for any grade). For example if you want to know which books are 9.0 or higher. He can also do a Full Grading pre-screening service for $4 per book. (For when you want more than a screen for minimum) Includes graders notes. For example, if you want to know the grades of your books and exactly what is impacting their condition.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:38 PM, ARMANDO M GOMEZ JR said:

Has anyone ever done a pre screen thru hero restoration and how much was the total cost for the Pre screen plus the grading let me know I trust mike with any comics that  I send him I just want to know the total cost so can pay him right away 

I have 10 books with him now. For pressing, cleaning, and forwarding to CGC that ultimately came to just under $300. If you had 25 value tier books you're probably looking at around $635 or so? So around $25 a book after shipping and fees... then you've got the CGC grading costs.

This is my first time using them so I can't speak to the quality of their service but I elected to try them because I've heard good things. I sent them my books at the end of October and they haven't made it to CGC just yet because I haven't been charged for getting them graded yet. 

48 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I have 10 books with him now. For pressing, cleaning, and forwarding to CGC that ultimately came to just under $300. If you had 25 value tier books you're probably looking at around $635 or so? So around $25 a book after shipping and fees... then you've got the CGC grading costs.

This is my first time using them so I can't speak to the quality of their service but I elected to try them because I've heard good things. I sent them my books at the end of October and they haven't made it to CGC just yet because I haven't been charged for getting them graded yet. 

It all just depends how much he has going on. When I had some books restored about 5 years ago, he was just a 1 man operation, and there was a pretty good wait time for just about any service. I believe he's hired some people to do pressing and cleaning for most books, and mainly does the big jobs himself. Right now, USPS is compounding the turnaround time problems with their terrible service, so I don't know how much of your wait ends up being their fault instead of Mike's.