• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visitin San Fran...any good comic book stores?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
6 minutes ago, thunsicker said:
21 minutes ago, slym2none said:
20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Not sure about comic book stores but wear a pair of Hunter boots. Waterproof and easy to clean (thumbsu

Because of the poo, folks. In the streets and on the sidewalks. Lots of human poo.

I lived in San Francisco for about 8 years and didn't see a single piece of human waste in the streets or sidewalks the entire time.  Maybe things have changed in the 20 years since I lived there, but it sounds like an urban legend to me.

I was there three years ago and the number of homeless and the amount of excrement on the sidewalks was astounding.  Much, much more than the other majors cities I've been in. 

I live in Minneapolis now, and pick up poop out of my verge at least two or three times a year.  Now, I don't have an axe to grind against Minneapolis so I just assume some careless dog walker didn't pick up after themselves.  But were I someone who didn't like my city government you can be sure I'd be calling and reporting human feces on my verge.  Especially if a site had been created to track that kind of thing.  I assume something similar is the cause of much of San Francisco's poop problem.  Or are they actually testing the poop to find the source?  I do agree that San Francisco (and Berkeley) have a homeless problem that they desperately need to address, but this has always struck me as politically motivated.  And with me saying the dreaded 'p' word I will stop posting on this. 

I left the bay 10 years ago but back then even San Fran was a disaster. Once my son was walking we quit going there because those water puddles he loved to jump in weren’t water. I was in Seattle a few years back and it is getting real bad to. Hotel we stayed at told us not to go out after dark but if we had to they gave us a long list of streets to avoid. 

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I live in Minneapolis now, and pick up poop out of my verge at least two or three times a year.  Now, I don't have an axe to grind against Minneapolis so I just assume some careless dog walker didn't pick up after themselves.  But were I someone who didn't like my city government you can be sure I'd be calling and reporting human feces on my verge.  Especially if a site had been created to track that kind of thing.  I assume something similar is the cause of much of San Francisco's poop problem.  Or are they actually testing the poop to find the source?  I do agree that San Francisco (and Berkeley) have a homeless problem that they desperately need to address, but this has always struck me as politically motivated.  And with me saying the dreaded 'p' word I will stop posting on this. 

There is video online, if you really want to see it, of people dropping trou and pooping right on the sidewalk - there's even video of a man walking into a local grocery, pulling down his pants, and dropping a deuce right in the aisle, and the store has a working toilet.

So, your above post is foundless. It's true, whether you want to believe it or not. I sure can't make you.

(shrug)

-slym

Sign of the times in just about every large metropolitan city in the country. The west coast seems to be hit quite hard. The weather is warmer and folks move out here for better opportunities. They often find it doesn’t work out for them. 

I live in LA. The skid row area has expanded quite a bit since I used to go there as a kid searching the thrift shops and junk stores. The problem is fairly well spread all over SO CA but fairly well contained in certain areas. I just stay away from those areas. 

Yes, I believe it to be political to some degree. The cost of living is quite high here and a lot of people are displaced because of it. Just something you have to deal with if you want the great weather and opportunities.

I have to add. I am a native Californian. I have lived in a couple different parts of this country for a few years at a time. It is a large and beautiful state though. So different from top to bottom. I like that people are tollerent and decent to those that are not exactly like them. 

Are there problems? Sure plenty just like most places. Associating us with nothing but homelessness and negativity is really ignorant and unfair. 

I visited San Francisco, circa 2008, had just left Isotope Comics and went around onto Market St, where I narrowly missed a large deposit on the pavement.  Given its size, I concluded that the source was either a very large Dire Wolf, or a human.

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sign of the times in just about every large metropolitan city in the country. The west coast seems to be hit quite hard. The weather is warmer and folks move out here for better opportunities. They often find it doesn’t work out for them. 

I live in LA. The skid row area has expanded quite a bit since I used to go there as a kid searching the thrift shops and junk stores. The problem is fairly well spread all over SO CA but fairly well contained in certain areas. I just stay away from those areas. 

Yes, I believe it to be political to some degree. The cost of living is quite high here and a lot of people are displaced because of it. Just something you have to deal with if you want the great weather and opportunities.

I have to add. I am a native Californian. I have lived in a couple different parts of this country for a few years at a time. It is a large and beautiful state though. So different from top to bottom. I like that people are tollerent and decent to those that are not exactly like them. 

Are there problems? Sure plenty just like most places. Associating us with nothing but homelessness and negativity is really ignorant and unfair. 

I would have agreed with most of your comments in the past. I think the reason for what you are describing as negativity has more to do with the lack of local authority adequately addressing the problem, including the very few times that a wet band aid was applied that had no chance of success. 

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I visited San Francisco, circa 2008, had just left Isotope Comics and went around onto Market St, where I narrowly missed a large deposit on the pavement.  Given its size, I concluded that the source was either a very large Dire Wolf, or a human.

I was in New York once and saw a guy knock down a lady and grab her purse.

2 minutes ago, wilbil said:

I would have agreed with most of your comments in the past. I think the reason for what you are describing as negativity has more to do with the lack of local authority adequately addressing the problem, including the very few times that a wet band aid was applied that had no chance of success. 

I guess my comments are directed at generalism and ignorance. Harder to understand if you don’t actually live here. 

I will agree that not enough has been done here to address it. It is a huge issue that is very important. It is on the local news often, They are making small and slow steps but it is pretty complex. There are a lot of shelters but a lot of these people are just crazy and actually prefer to live on the streets rather than to move to a shelter and play by the rules. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

It's a growing problem here, too.  Worsening homelessness, sleeping behind waste or clothing collection bins, for example, and no other option but to relieve themselves publicly.  Mentioned as such by the security and employees at a nearby supermarket.  I only saw it the one time on the pavement in SF, although I believe the problem required a clean-up crew in a downtown BART station to wear Hazmat suits.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I was there three years ago and the number of homeless and the amount of excrement on the sidewalks was astounding.  Much, much more than the other majors cities I've been in. 

Apparently you haven't been to LA?  

1 minute ago, XxSpideyxX said:
3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Apparently you haven't been to LA?  

I haven't.  More of an East Coast guy.