• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking advice: how do you deal with insisting eBay buyers
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Hi, I have never sold much material on eBay.com, now that for various reasons I have started to sell a bit more, I am experiencing for the first time a situation which I guess is common, but would like to ask for some advice.

A US buyer purchased from me a batch of about six books (one expensive), through repeated offers, for a total of about $700.
I had a hard time explaining him that I preferred to send them through courrier (DHL) for safety, but eventually I managed to wrap up the transaction.
I just mailed them through DHL and I have started receiving from him insisting offers on a batch of about ten books. Silver-bronze books, normal issues already priced at reasonable amounts.
He says "c'mon, accept them, I already bought a lot", but I explained I am selling them because I need to, and that is my best price. He keeps insisting regardless (not being rude, but disregarding my explanations).

Have you experienced situations like these often? If so, while trying to be always patient and polite, how do you deal with them?
This is also a very distracting thing, when one does not have much time.

Thanks much. :)

It’s a hard spot to be in because i’s through eBay and if he doesn’t like the way you handle it he’s holding the feedback hammer over your head. 

I don’t have any specific advice to offer in this situation.  I’m a collector so that means I’ve paid retail for my books and am usually doing good to just get most of my money back.  And after fees, there’s really not a lot of wiggle room. 

So I don’t usually encourage offers but in the past I haven’t minded people reaching out to ask if I’ll entertain offers. In a couple of instances, after looking through sold items, I have adjusted my price. 

Lately though, I seem to be noticing a trend of “by-hook-or-by-crook” negotiators.  If they can’t get the discount they want before the sale, they buy the books and then claim there’s a “problem” when they receive them and start fishing for a partial refund to get their discount on the back end.  And all with the implied threat of negative feedback. 

I’ve seen enough red flags on offers to start considering getting more proactive with unsolicited negotiations. 

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It’s a hard spot to be in because i’s through eBay and if he doesn’t like the way you handle it he’s holding the feedback hammer over your head. 

That was my thought too, that the offers are being made with the potential implied threat that the buyer may be difficult over the existing one. Crummy tactic if so. 

14 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Thanks much everyone,
this is very helpful, especially Marwood's and Number 6 advice: thank you!

Now I am a bit puzzled, in the end he said "OK" and bought them at asking price. Oh well…

You are too nice!  He is free to ask for a bulk discount and to keep pushing for future discounts but you saying no should end the discussion.  Never feel bad about not accepting an offer. His attitude would have pushed me close to blocking him but it sounds like you did well in the end.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

Hi, I have never sold much material on eBay.com, now that for various reasons I have started to sell a bit more, I am experiencing for the first time a situation which I guess is common, but would like to ask for some advice.

A US buyer purchased from me a batch of about six books (one expensive), through repeated offers, for a total of about $700.
I had a hard time explaining him that I preferred to send them through courrier (DHL) for safety, but eventually I managed to wrap up the transaction.
I just mailed them through DHL and I have started receiving from him insisting offers on a batch of about ten books. Silver-bronze books, normal issues already priced at reasonable amounts.
He says "c'mon, accept them, I already bought a lot", but I explained I am selling them because I need to, and that is my best price. He keeps insisting regardless (not being rude, but disregarding my explanations).

Have you experienced situations like these often? If so, while trying to be always patient and polite, how do you deal with them?

The bolded part is your problem. Make your response and if he keeps bothering you just ignore the request.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

The bolded part is your problem. Make your response and if he keeps bothering you just ignore the request.

I'm good at telling people off.

Saves everyone time. 

16 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You are too nice!  He is free to ask for a bulk discount and to keep pushing for future discounts but you saying no should end the discussion.  Never feel bad about not accepting an offer. His attitude would have pushed me close to blocking him but it sounds like you did well in the end.

The attitude was impolite, but he never wrote in an arrogant way. I did not feel bad because I did not accept the offer, I just hope he's honest. He bought $200+ more.
Also, Andrew, I don’t think it would have made sense to block him now, considered the $700 purchase is paid and on its way.
He paid $57 shipping so I will also refund him a part of that, as it will cost less.

My impression in this case is that he’s just a hasty person.
Inattentive, and that does not read. Two things which put me at unease. But hopefully not dishonest.

Edited by vaillant

Sounds like a “whiner”. I hate “whiners”. Whether at a live show, eBay (where I rarely sell on) or even here on the boards, I will usually give them my bottom price and just stick to it. I hate to be rude but there is just a price point where it makes no sense for me to sell it to you. 

The ones that ask me if I will do better, I usually either say a simple yes or no. I will not lower my price without a fair counter offer. I’ve put a price on it. You don’t like my price, it is now your turn to counter. If I feel it’s fair you might get it. On the occasions when I am asked what my bottom price is I might tell them only after they have made a counter offer. My bottom price is my bottom price. Any further “grinding” and I usually close the door and move on. 

These people almost always want my better stuff and that I can sell anytime. 

I just hate “whiners”...

No, maybe I explained myself not enough clearly: buyer has always been polite.
I just don’t understand insistence when you have clearly explained your reasons more than once. But all is fine.

15 minutes ago, Planet Terror said:

FYI there's no such thing as "no returns" on Ebay.

I see their policy now. But it’s unclear: if I specify "no returns" and they allow the option, what sense does it make?
My only reason for not offering returns is the limited amount of time that I can devote to it.

12 minutes ago, vaillant said:

No, maybe I explained myself not enough clearly: buyer has always been polite.
I just don’t understand insistence when you have clearly explained your reasons more than once. But all is fine.

I see their policy now. But it’s unclear: if I specify "no returns" and they allow the option, what sense does it make?
My only reason for not offering returns is the limited amount of time that I can devote to it.

@Buzzetta can explain this-you can fight a return effectively if you list no returns.  It's an arrow in your quiver.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

If it's your lowest price, it's your lowest price. Nothing else can be said. Clearly there is interest in your books so if you don't sell to him, you'll sell to someone else. 

14 minutes ago, vaillant said:

No returns just means they can't return it without reason. If they say it's not as described, e-bay can force a return (or a full refund through paypal). There have been instances of abusing this.

Thanks everyone.
Once again, I have nothing against the buyer (or making – even low – offers) I asked just because I do not understand insistence when I have already explained several times.

If @Buzzetta can chime in I’ll listen to some Frank Sinatra *and* Thievery Corporation simultaneously to thank for the advice. :)