• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spiderman 300
1 1

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

I'd say it has a chance at a 9.8

+1 

I can't see any spine stresses, front or back. Just the usual manufacture defect on the spine corners common to most 300s. Looks like some 9.6s I've seen, other 9.8s I've seen.  So 50/50 based on what I can see of the images.

1 hour ago, BigDaddy1 said:

To me it looks like a tiny color break on the spine, next to the lower area of the "3" in the circle.

I had a chance to take a moment exploring the spine and here's what I found. One area above the one you blue circled that is similar to the one you did, and two below that are much smaller in size than the one you circled (I circled them in light blue). I also circled the top of the spine, which has that typical production "wing", split/tear top corner common to many.

Based on the elliptical angle of a possible break (20 to 30 degree towards the top right), and there not existing a corresponding mark at the same point visible on the back cover (completely smooth at that point, I think it's possible for that mark to be exactly that. A mark. In the production, and the same for the similarly sized mark in my circled area above yours. The bottom two areas I've circled seem to me to be of the same character as the larger top two, and again, the corresponding back cover areas are completely smooth, no sign of demarcation at those nodes.

While one or more may possibly be color-breaking stresses, based on what I can see, until in hand visual inspection takes place and a record is produced (grader notes), my guess (and without the book in hand, this is all best guess based on scans) I'm not convinced that they're stresses and not just tiny marks on the book, not from wear, but occurring naturally.

AS300c.jpg

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say that 9.8 is not likely.

9.0+ IMO.

I agree...9.2 at best.

I'm not a proffessional grader but....

There is several minor spine ticks running along the sides. The top left corner on the front looks slightly split. The bottom right isn't crisp and sharp, neither is the top right (on front cover)

On the back there looks like some minor wear

16 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say that 9.8 is not likely.

9.0+ IMO.

Depends on what those little blips are. Just blips (like printing donuts/spots, stray ink from printing), or crimping/stresses. That is the question. They're too small and the image isn't up to the rez necessary for me to tell for sure with my monitor..

Edited by James J Johnson

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Depends on what those little blips are. Just blips (like printing donuts/spots, stray ink from printing), or crimping/stresses. That is the question. They're too small and the image isn't up to the rez necessary for me to tell for sure with my monitor..

Thank you for all of the comments and James man you are incredibly detailed. I looked at the "marks" close up and I am not sure exactly what they are. They look like small creases but none of them break the color. Either way I am going to send it off and hope for the best. I'll post pics when I get it back :)

22 minutes ago, randostoyz said:

Thank you for all of the comments and James man you are incredibly detailed. I looked at the "marks" close up and I am not sure exactly what they are. They look like small creases but none of them break the color. Either way I am going to send it off and hope for the best. I'll post pics when I get it back :)

Fingers crossed for you. It's a very nice 300. These are double tough in 9.4 or better because you basically have two black covers! It's not like your typical book with white back cover margins that don't show wear as boldly and have such potential to affect the grade adversely because little rifts in the paper show up with 10 times the impact on a jet black back cover area than they do on the usual white margin. The centering is almost perfect and the characteristic rough cut right edge on them all is less severe than is usually the case. Whatever it does grade, it's a beauty. (thumbsu

On 2/28/2020 at 12:49 PM, BaronSamedi said:

I agree...9.2 at best.

I'm not a proffessional grader but....

There is several minor spine ticks running along the sides. The top left corner on the front looks slightly split. The bottom right isn't crisp and sharp, neither is the top right (on front cover)

On the back there looks like some minor wear

The spine ticks are barely visible, at least on my monitor? The top left corner is a normal production corner and won't drop the grade. Unless there are flaws not visible to either one of us, I would respectfully disagree this is a '9.2 at best'.  :foryou:

18 hours ago, Point Five said:

The spine ticks are barely visible, at least on my monitor? The top left corner is a normal production corner and won't drop the grade. Unless there are flaws not visible to either one of us, I would respectfully disagree this is a '9.2 at best'.  :foryou:

I'm looking forward to seeing what grade he gets back....As I said i'm not a professional grader! It's a really nice book and I hope it is graded high.:foryou: