• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One piece a month for 2020

20 posts in this topic

Last year I was listening to a Felix Art podcast, and one of the guests, I believe it was Andy Robbins, said that one piece a month is still a great collection. For this year it made me reconsider my approach to collecting, and felt this was a good way to go. It has been difficult at times, and I have turned down pieces I liked, but were not must haves. The other part for me is to fund these pieces by selling or trading other collectibles. That definitely makes it harder, and requires more discipline.

So, here are my pieces so far for the year. You may have seen some on CAF already, but the March piece is new.

January: Todd McFarlane Spiderman 9 Wolverine Splash. This was obtained from a fellow collector who knew I was interested in it for some time. It drips with nostalgia and I am excited to bits to have it!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1601536

February: Adam Hughes Batgirl 5 cover. I had been pursuing this cover for some time, and this time the stars were aligned. Truly a masterpiece on so many artistic levels. I really could not have asked for more!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1606376

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Last year I was listening to a Felix Art podcast, and one of the guests, I believe it was Andy Robbins, said that one piece a month is still a great collection. For this year it made me reconsider my approach to collecting, and felt this was a good way to go. It has been difficult at times, and I have turned down pieces I liked, but were not must haves. The other part for me is to fund these pieces by selling or trading other collectibles. That definitely makes it harder, and requires more discipline.

So, here are my pieces so far for the year. You may have seen some on CAF already, but the March piece is new.

January: Todd McFarlane Spiderman 9 Wolverine Splash. This was obtained from a fellow collector who knew I was interested in it for some time. It drips with nostalgia and I am excited to bits to have it!

February: Adam Hughes Batgirl 5 cover. I had been pursuing this cover for some time, and this time the stars were aligned. Truly a masterpiece on so many artistic levels. I really could not have asked for more!

The Wolverine by Todd is a no brainer. I’m going to say that I love both pieces. On sheer detail, the Hughes piece

b l o w s  me away. Whatever your approach for 2020 these are tremendous pieces. My mantra always is focus focus focus. I don’t want to impulse buy auction pages that aren’t must haves. I think your approach is working judging the examples you’ve shown.

Keep it up buddy!!!

1 hour ago, dichotomy said:

Can you share examples of pieces you’ve passed on that you might have ordinarily purchased were it not for this ‘one a month’ experiment? 

Haven’t kept tabs on them after passing.

21 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I’m down to a couple real pieces of art a year, max. And then occasionally a book sketch or a small art gift for someone else every so often for fun.

I can’t imagine keeping pace at one a month. Forget money, I dunno what I’d do with it all.

:)

I can’t forget that money part. Those pieces aren’t cheap. The volume I could handle, at least for a few years, but I would probably start picking up commissions of oddball scenes for pure fun. For example, I wonder what some characters would look like wearing beachwear? Thanks to a Zeck commission posted in Heritage, I now know what WW looks like in a bikini, but how about the Shining Knight in beach togs?

On 2/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, lb jefferies said:

i could've sworn the podcast quote was "one piece a year"

Yeah I think he was quoting a collector named Richard Sanchez(?) who said “one great piece a year would make for a great collection in 25 years.”

On 2/27/2020 at 10:28 PM, AnkurJ said:

My two pieces:

A Lady Mechanika page (which I received in a January,) and a Frank Cirocco Alien Legion page I picked up on Jan 31, so I count it as February. LOL! 6F479337-5243-4117-A531-21FA04869B13.thumb.jpeg.1fdaef31d6375055a906a308e06dbcb9.jpegCC04E794-5D7C-4229-95BE-4FE1699286C6.thumb.jpeg.5ea0e6be7270de843d54d1c510925940.jpeg