• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

477 posts in this topic

The crash of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 is upon us. Maybe. And then again it could be as the last 18 years have gone... nothing to see here.

9 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The crash of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 is upon us. Maybe. And then again it could be as the last 18 years have gone... nothing to see here.

Yup. One of many overdue apocalypse events.

52 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Focusing just on 2007-2008, tell that to the shareholders, counter-parties, and employee of New Century Financial, Indymac Bank, Lehman Brothers, Washington Mutual bank, etc,  The stock market dropped over 50%.  It did not recover until 2012.  That's pretty devastating to folks counting on 401Ks for their retirement.

25 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Focusing just on 2007-2008, tell that to the shareholders, counter-parties, and employee of New Century Financial, Indymac Bank, Lehman Brothers, Washington Mutual bank, etc,  The stock market dropped over 50%.  It did not recover until 2012.  That's pretty devastating to folks counting on 401Ks for their retirement.

I was speaking to the comic market, not stock market. 

4 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I was speaking to the comic market, not stock market. 

Got it. Thanks for correcting me.  I absolutely agree that the comic market and the stock market are not related.  

1 minute ago, LordRahl said:

what about them?

I think he's alluding to the fact that the Barks Duck market has seen decreases in value.  I'm pretty sure we can all think of segments of the comic market which have lost value or not yielded acceptable returns from an investment perspective.  It's a huge market, and CGC has initiated some trends which appear to be telescoping the focus of collectors on a smaller pool of books.

13 minutes ago, LordRahl said:
17 minutes ago, wilbil said:

well, there is disney.

what about them?

8 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I think he's alluding to the fact that the Barks Duck market has seen decreases in value. 

Well, if he's referring to the Disney Company itself, it'll probably be a good buy somewhere further down the line with their Disney streaming assets. (thumbsu

Too much uncertainty right now in terms of their theme park closures, disincentive to attend large gatherings like movie theatres, cruise ship fiascos, etc.  hm  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not always easy to buy into a sinking ship....

hell yeah it is, specially when your buying for love and nostalgia with little value on money value...

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if he's referring to the Disney Company itself, it'll probably be a good buy somewhere further down the line with their Disney streaming assets. (thumbsu

Too much uncertainty right now in terms of their theme park closures, disincentive to attend large gatherings like movie theatres, cruise ship fiascos, etc.  hm  :ph34r:

https://apple.news/AmkvlICA2SaqKKKr35xEUsQ

18CD6094-781B-4501-ABCB-C7903973A5D0.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

https://apple.news/AmkvlICA2SaqKKKr35xEUsQ

I can certainly understand why Disney and other travel related / entertainment companies or tech companies like Apple with supply chains out of China taking big hits to their share prices, but why a company like Google (i.e. Alphabet) which is not even allowed in China would also be taking similar big percentage hits to its share price?  ???  

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I can certainly understand why Disney and other travel related / entertainment companies or tech companies like Apple with supply chains out of China taking big hits to their share prices, but why a company like Google (i.e. Alphabet) which is not even allowed in China would also be taking similar big percentage hits to its share price?  ???  

It must have healthy business customers to earn money.  It's main revenue stream comes from advertising.  

1 minute ago, Tony S said:

Which is why smart investors buy during the dips. Google shouldn't be taking a hit. Neither should say Facebook. if people limit travel and going out then they spend more time Googling and Facebooking. .  

But that is not how they make money.  

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

CDC stops reporting number of cases per state... well this is strange....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fczap3/cdc_website_no_longer_reports_the_number_of/

i think they are trying to curb the panic as its starting to affect many things in general such as supplies resources food, travel, racism etc... As many pointed out and I agreed to a certain point with the media covering these cases and deaths ever hour on the hour its breeding a lot more fear and destructive behaviour than constructive behaviour than informing people to protect themselves and to wash their hands etc.. 

I was listening to a local radio station they had someone hiding out at Eaton's Center in Toronto in the washroom listening and tracking how many people wash their hands... it was bad so many people even after using a public restroom do NOT wash their hands or just run their hands for 1-2 secs without soap under the water.. :sick::sick::sick: but instead of practicing better prevention techniques people are just running around in a panic emptying grocery shelves buying up masks, gloves and eye wear.. I mean I am all for safety as well.. but reporting this all the time and scaring people is creating more problems than help. 

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

CDC stops reporting number of cases per state... well this is strange....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fczap3/cdc_website_no_longer_reports_the_number_of/

A skeptic may say that indicates a greater concern for the Dow than the people 

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A skeptic may say that indicates a greater concern for the Dow than the people 

an anti skeptic would say that it indicates per state reporting is still being done by the state, and any discrepancy in numbers cdc lists per state and that the state number, then the state info takes precedence anyway. I think that it would be obvious that the chore of keeping up is a burden that the states should share and be responsible for, which allows cdc employees to concentrate on other essential tasks.

It is not as if the information is no longer available, because multiple sources are reporting, including news media/newspapers, etc.

I don't think it has anything to do with Dow. vs. the people. that is sort of conspiracy stuff.