• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

477 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Another big drop today

a few people my family know are getting temporary lay offs because of the weak business due to the CORVID-19 virus as people are just not going out and not spending/shopping... it's starting to trickle down now from the stock market into smaller businesses/economy.

40 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

BTW having the best week in sales YTD this week... Surprisingly all of my big winners this week came from overseas and Canada... So I have no idea if its tax season over there or what

I will be on the lookout for bargains in the next ComicLink auction. But hey, so might others. But man, I sure would love to have access to ComicLink sales data over the years. 

On 3/6/2020 at 7:32 AM, RANDOM ACTS said:

I agree with you on the 10% comic keys with taxes with eBay, but a lot of them were actually down 15% to 20% since 2018. That`s a pretty bad investment for a good majority of movie/tv hyped comics. I don't see most of them ever going back up, as they had their big movie/tv hyped moment.

Other comics I would keep an eye on for drops would be Eternal Warrior #4, and ASM #101 because if this same pattern holds, than as soon as the Bloodshot and Morbius movies both drop, than so will eventually both the prices of Eternal Warrior #4, and ASM #101 will drop. I think the market is on to it now that these movie/tv hyped books only stay so hot for awhile. A very volatile market.

It`s like a flavor of the month thing as in one month everybody is excited about ASM #101 because of the Morbius movie, than they see it, ASM #101 loses steam than everybody gets excited about ASM #361 because of the Venom #2 movie than that gets hot, than ASM #361 cools off because everybody has moved on to the next hot comic tied to a movie/tv show.

Kind of like a musical chairs effect. So really a lot of these comic keys have been getting these boosts over the years because of the movies/tv hype, but now the market is correcting itself.

Absolutely no surprise here and in fact, totally expected as this movie/TV related hyped valuation trend has now been in play for well over a full decade already.  (shrug)

As we all know, the biggest price movements is when the movie or TV show is first announced, and the downward price movement is usually already in place by the time the movie hits the theatres.  From there, with very few exceptions if any at all, we all know which way the prices are going to go after that.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Absolutely no surprise here and in fact, totally expected as this movie/TV related hyped valuation trend has now been in play for well over a full decade already.  (shrug)

As we all know, the biggest price movements is when the movie or TV show is first announced, and the downward price movement is usually already in place by the time the movie hits the theatres.  From there, with very few exceptions if any at all, we all know which way the prices are going to go after that.  :tonofbricks:

I can see the rule of 25 applying. Millions and millions of kids and young adults saw and loved those movies and shows. They also know the toys, the video games, and all the other merch. They get older, they have cash to spare, and the idea of having the first Black Panther appearance is suddenly very appealing.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

For the people saying keys are recession resistant , we are going to have a great opportunity in the next few months to see if that fact is true...

No one said that. As a matter of fact, if anything is going to take a hit it will be keys. In the Heritage auction that just ended, the 6 figure books were soft. The stuff in the few hundred to a few thousand range sold strong. The higher the price point, the smaller the bidding pool. Especially true after you pass the 6 figure mark. 

The OA market's still steaming ahead, especially for post-'80s stuff. Solid mid-week CLink followed by strong weekend HA results. Larsen, Keown and McHulk over-performed spectacularly, with Turner and AH! showing strength. Lee and Kubert X-Men also ticked upwards.

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

No one said that. As a matter of fact, if anything is going to take a hit it will be keys. In the Heritage auction that just ended, the 6 figure books were soft. The stuff in the few hundred to a few thousand range sold strong. The higher the price point, the smaller the bidding pool. Especially true after you pass the 6 figure mark. 

When I reread the thread it seems like several members say that comics won't be affected by the market...

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

When I reread the thread it seems like several members say that comics won't be affected by the market...

The comic market is not only made up of keys. When I say keys, I'm talking about the major keys... stuff that goes for 6 figures in high grade type stuff. 

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I can see the rule of 25 applying. Millions and millions of kids and young adults saw and loved those movies and shows. They also know the toys, the video games, and all the other merch. They get older, they have cash to spare, and the idea of having the first Black Panther appearance is suddenly very appealing.

Well, if you are referring to the first appearance of Black Panther in FF 52, then I guess you must really be talking about the Rule of 50 because FF 52 came out in 1966.  :gossip:

Not sure if even the Black Panther can buck the normal pricing trend for movie hyped related comic books.  Especially since I believe the price of the book peaked in 2016 with CGC 9.8 graded sales of something like $83K+ and $90K for the Curator pedigree copy, which were then followed by a downward trend in the price of the book right through to the release of the movie in 2018 and thereafter.  hm   :(

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are referring to the first appearance of Black Panther in FF 52, then I guess you must really be talking about the Rule of 50 because FF 52 came out in 1966.  :gossip:

Not sure if even the Black Panther can buck the normal pricing trend for movie hyped related comic books.  Especially since I believe the price of the book peaked in 2016 with CGC 9.8 graded sales of something like $83K+ and $90K for the Curator pedigree copy, which were then followed by a downward trend in the price of the book right through to the release of the movie in 2018 and thereafter.  hm   :(

737.gif

Sales seem to be doing pretty well in terms of slabbed books but last week seemed very light in terms of raw filler run books.  Those books have been light for awhile but last week seem extra slow.

9 hours ago, LordRahl said:

The comic market is not only made up of keys. When I say keys, I'm talking about the major keys... stuff that goes for 6 figures in high grade type stuff. 

I understand what you're saying.

What I am saying is some people in the thread  are saying that comics in general keys and non keys are resistant to the stock market. 

We are about to see if that's true or not.