• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

477 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:
3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Comics aren't a useful commodity.  So really no comparison to precious metals or oil.  Better analogy is fine art and other collectables.  

I think there will be a lot of disappointed comic sellers in the next couple months, potential glut coming.

When the general public sells, the smart / wealthy buy.

And visa versa.

It goes back and forth.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So is the general consensus that comics values are falling?  

It's not what I have been experiencing. Bidding (and being outbid) on some Neal Adams batman stuff right now and those books seem as hot as ever. Can't believe I had to pay more than guide on a mid grade Detective 407 in times where "comic values are falling". Same with the golden age books I am interested in. Others on these boards are reporting the same things with rare golden age. I've only seen drops in big ticket marvel silver age books that I can't afford anyways.

21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you've been collecting for 20+ years or longer you'll remember when early Batman Detectives were dead books, Amazing Fantasy #15 wasn't always an easy sell (and even went down in value a few times), Adventure #247 was a monster key and most importantly, nearly every genre went cyclically up and down in value over time.

And don't forget when Richie Rich 1 and even The Adventures of Big Boy 1 were top SA books!!  :nyah:

12 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

And don't forget when Richie Rich 1 and even The Adventures of Big Boy 1 were top SA books!!  :nyah:

And unfortunately, it seems like most big key collectors of the last 10 years won't even know what these books were.

That video was created before this corona epidemic hit every western country hard.
There was a comment here in one of these threads that this corona epidemic will effect prices -20% which I first thought was bit too much
but now I think it is more like that will happen in 2 months from now.
People (buyers) are laid off or fired from their jobs around the world. 
Comic book stores are closed or have zero customers. Still store owners have to pay rent and many stores are located
in expensive areas. All the conventions are cancelled so dealers cannot sell their inventory and maybe right
now people are buying online but that will decrease as well. 

Also it will take almost year that we will have a vaccine / medicine for corona virus. After that it will take a long time to recover from recession.
So it will take a long time before buying a collectible is somebody's top priority. 

Always end with a positive vibe so X-men 4 (1990) LOL  :D 

Had to check what was so special about TEC 407. So first She-bat :D
Kinda disappointed now I was hoping for something like youtube spec video like "so there is a rumor that Donny Cates is taking over Batman and what is another rumor that Batman is going to marry Man-Bat. First time Batman and Man-Bat was in a wedding was in TEC407. So be look out for that key..."

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:35 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

I think there will be a lot of disappointed comic sellers in the next couple months, potential glut coming.

We went through this in 2008-2010. I was still selling stuff then. I think there were less hyped "hot" books then, but they were still there.

54 minutes ago, jharvey said:

I've had a big increase in Ebay sales over the last 2 weeks. Tax refund money maybe?

What type of books do you sell, raw or slabbed?  Copper, bronze, modern?

Just now, jharvey said:

Marvel silver age, bronze age, both raw and slabbed.

Nice - glad they are doing well.  Those older books are tough to get in house so I tend to do a ton of business in copper and modern books - not so much this month.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:07 AM, VintageComics said:

If you've been collecting for more than 20-30 years you realize that you feel like you don't even belong in this hobby anymore. lol

This video really didn't say much except that you can get an X-men #4 (1992 not 1963) for less than $30.

I've been at it for 45 years, and I get what you're saying.  But I think we've been here before.  Granted, we didn't have eBay and online auction houses in the early 90's, but if we did, I think it would look a lot like right now.

And I think long-term collectors recognize this, as the older guys who sell at my local cons appear to be exercising a lot of restraint in the prices they're charging.  It's the young guys with only moderns in their displays, charging $100 for Venom: Lethal Protector #1 or $60 for Rom #1 who make me shake my head.  They'll learn the hard way...….