• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's MULAN (2020)
1 1

48 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Yeah, so is that 4.9 out of 5 or out of 10?  The "Star Chart" next to the 4.9 only works if it is out of 10 stars, but it is only showing 5 stars total.  Also the precentages below the star chart doesn't work out to 4.9 either?  Am I missing something?

The average vote is in the 2.0-3.0 range (2.5) but the system is stating 4.9/5.

considering there are no movies, and i bought a projector for the house since we were not going out this summer...

We spent the $30 and watched it Friday night.  My daughter and wife loved it!  I think it's been watched 5 times already here.

Plus, I really felt like supporting this gives us a shot at getting things like Black Widow like this as well, and i'm 100% hoping that happens.

for me it was a 5/10 or so, but for the girls in my house, I think they're giving it a 9/10

Edited by Pete Marino

How will they figure if it was a successful opening weekend or not? I was going to rent it because I want Black Widow to released on Disney+ (and I have a lot of Disney stock HAHA) but after the reviews I don't think I will.  I  had no desire to see it in the first place. I have been debating to go see The New Mutants though. I have to drive to Virginia though (I'm in Maryland/DC area, Maryland threaders are not open yet) and not sure it's worth it either by the sound of it.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

How will they figure if it was a successful opening weekend or not? I was going to rent it because I want Black Widow to released on Disney+ (and I have a lot of Disney stock HAHA) but after the reviews I don't think I will.  I  had no desire to see it in the first place.

mickey_waiting.gif.cb5d479c932f6118621944185b0be6ec.gif

Someone took note of the credit recognitions and realized who Disney was thanking for its support in China.

Disney remake of Mulan criticised for filming in Xinjiang

Disney’s live-action remake of Mulan, already the target of a boycott, has come under fire for filming in Xinjiang, the site of alleged widespread human rights abuses against Uighurs and other Muslim minorities.

At least we got a new Disney movie. Right? :eek:

Wow! This film seems to have hurdles o'plenty. Yet Disney+ is reporting very strong subscriptions due to it.

Exclusive: China bars media coverage of Disney's 'Mulan' after Xinjiang backlash - sources

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese authorities have told major media outlets not to cover Walt Disney Co’s release of “Mulan”, in an order issued after controversy erupted overseas over the film’s links with the Xinjiang region, four people familiar with matter told Reuters.

Set to open in local theatres on Friday, Disney (DIS.N) had high hopes for Mulan in China, but starving it of publicity in the country’s strictly censored media would be another blow to the $200 million production.

Starring big-name Chinese-born actors - Jet Li, Gong Li, Donnie Yen and Liu Yifei - and based on a Chinese folk story, Mulan was tailored to appeal to audiences in China, the world’s second-largest movie market.

But mixed reviews online and capacity limits in theatres due to coronavirus prevention measures were likely to weigh on its box office performance, even before major media outlets received a notice telling them to refrain from covering the movie.

Three sources told Reuters media outlets had received the notice, two of whom said it was sent by the Cyberspace Administration of China. A fourth source at a major Chinese newspaper said he received a text message with a similar order from a senior colleague.

i'm pretty sure that chinese people don't need disney to tell them a traditional chinese story. they make their own extremely popular movies there. when chinese people watch western movies, it seems they want western. stories, like mcu. if mulan was designed to appeal to a chinese audience, as seems clear, it seems like a strategic misfire.

I paid $30 for my girls to see it in HD on Disney+ and now I see I could have bought it for $30 on iTunes in 4K with extras and kept it indefinitely. I just cancelled my Disney+ yearly subscription which expires next month. I realized the Mandalorian is the only must-see thing on the channel and I found a site where I can view it for free. Disney got enough cash out of me for the one year subscription plus $30 for a movie I will no longer have access to.