• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmm.... it seemed a bit rough for a super valuable comic.   The bottom right corner of the front cover had a fragile crease that extended into the first 3 or 4 interior pages.  So the technique being used for the quick page count was putting pressure RIGHT ON THAT FRAGILE CORNER.  

IMO I think there needed to be a moment shown in the video where the grader looks for weak spots in the spine & cover before the page count starts (and maybe check the staples at the CF to see if it's tearing out).  Now to be fair, the grader may have actually done that, but it's not shown on the video, and it's important that you show your patrons the care you take with their rarities.

I didn't like seeing the water bottle on the table at the end of the video too.  If I'm having my Superman 1 graded I expect that there WILL NOT be a water bottle on the table.

I’d say this ^ is pretty much spot on 

now I know it was only a pg counting not a grading, but if they actually graded with the same speed maybe it wouldn’t take 2+ months to get a book back

I was actually going to post something similar. I haven't seen a single positive comment on their post, just a lot of  angry collectors lol. The way he bends the cover almost in half while counting and pulling pages apart... I cringe watching it. If it was my book I'd be upset.

Lotta spine stress dished out there, from careless handling of the book's own weight, it seems. Wow. I would have stopped that in process, early on, if I were its owner. 

While I do think it illustrates that even very old books are sometimes more durable than we think, that was still far too cavalier for me.

I have no issue with that handling.

Suppose you own a classic sports car. And you wanna see how well it performs on the track. Are you really gonna tell professional racecar driver guy who does this for a living and has for a long time to “drive slow and be careful”!?!

Granted, he could crash. Something could break on your car while he is driving. He could crash going quickly or slowly. But you paid him $50-100 to test your car and if he doesn’t do it the way you like then don’t bother paying him.

15 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I have no issue with that handling.

+. This is same way Harley or I would pre-screen a GA comic for page count at a con when there are deals to be made all around. Would just put the water bottle farther away or on the floor.

Water bottle is living dangerously lol even though lid is on it. Then again how many of us drink or leave an open drink next to the computer? Probably shouldn’t but doesn’t mean careless. 

Heres the reality. You have Grader guy A. He’s a bit old school been doing it forever and nails grades 99% of the time. However because he is maybe a little quicker he does cause small bit of damage, say 1 out of 1000 books. 

Then you have Grader guy B. Less experienced but knows his stuff. He is maybe a little more respectful in the eyes of the public. Sometimes he has gloves and takes a bit more time. But this costs him and whereas Grader A hits 1000 books in whatever timeframe, Grader B can only ever hit 700. But his grades are still almost as accurate and he rarely if ever causes any damage.

The reality is both work for CGC and CGC would be smart to have both. You can’t have everyone in a workplace be exactly the same. You have the diversity that overall equals out and makes you successful. Until they find a way for robots to do it, this shall be. Expect errors on occasion. 

If Grader A slows down then people don’t get books back as quick, they aren’t ready in time for shows and they could lose money. If Grader A continues doing what he does, well there may be the chance a small tear, crease or fingerprint is seen once in a while. 

I just think it’s all relative to the hobby. My grades are not your grades. My practices are not yours. Doesn’t mean they are right or wrong or better or worse. It’s what works for those involved. And if it doesn’t and if CGC has a lot of these supposed problems then maybe a new leader in the field should emerge.

Also I know I said Grader guy but my guy applies to males, females and all identities in between and beyond :)

Edited by comicginger1789

The gloves complainers are wrong in my eyes.

The mishandling of the pages. You could be slower and more careful. You could be much more flippant. Curling a page like that isn’t bad but I can see people a bit concerned with the address pressure on that crease. Either way I don’t think he’s devaluing it so I personally am ok with it.

End of the day though, it seems CGC has upset more people than not. So definitely as @fastballspecial said it’s probably not a beneficial video at all. Probably woulda been best to not share and keep their handling of comics behind closed doors or at least show a little more detailed context with the expert (and perhaps even have him be gently so as to appeal to all those who might take issue).

In the end, it might lose a few peoples business which is never good for a business.