• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

I saw this post this weekend as well, and saw the comments about gloves.. I never used gloves always wash and dry my hands so I understand that bare hands thing and don't see much of a problem; they should have told the customer to not place the water bottle on the table if it was the customers, it was capped and far away but still keep drinks on the floor or away from the table... the only thing I cringed at was the last few pages at the crease where you can see that crease bend more when he placed more pressure on it to flip the pages.. I get that its a pro handling it and they can move that fast with the experienced they have but if there is a video with tons of potential customers watching with at high value book maybe show a bit more caution or not post the video at all.. the video didn't help CGC in any way IMO.

23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I am sure someone got chewed for showing that video tape to a lot of seriously OCD 
people. That being said with a book that old I would have worn gloves too. In fact
I wouldn't have shown that video at all. There was not an upside to it at all.

I agree that the greatest error in judgement was posting this video on Facebook.  What is the upside?

On 3/1/2020 at 7:42 AM, gadzukes said:

Even if this is what he would do behind closed doors on a page count, he's doing this in front of potential customers so I believe he should have shown a little more of an appearance of "tender loving care".

On 3/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, fastballspecial said:

I am sure someone got chewed for showing that video tape to a lot of seriously OCD 
people.

For all of the uber HG OCD collectors, have you ever considered the possibility that this video IS ALREADY showing them taking extra care with a high dollar value book?  :devil:

Especially when we can't see what they are doing behind closed doors when they are under the gun grading thousands of virtually worthless low dollar value books that just hit the shelves of the LCS's last week.  hm

On 3/1/2020 at 9:23 AM, shadroch said:

I can't believe no one has come with a mechanical method of counting pages. If there was even a task that called out for robots, this is it.

Pregraders count pages but they also grade the book. The entire book is inspected during the page count and a pregrade given so just a mechanical page count would be redundant.

CGC does have it's PR / perception problems and I've said this to them many times that they need someone to oversee their PR before things go public.

It seems that they keep making the same mistakes over and over.

I agree that slowing it down for the public video would probably have been a better move.

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

Since they said it was Matt, I'm sure he know what he's doing.  He's been dealing with golden age books for over 20 years that I've know of.

+1

Agree with you 100%.............adding to both the top and bottom lines of their CCG parent by generating new business for CCS and repeat business for CGC.  hm  lol

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

CGC does have it's PR / perception problems and I've said this to them many times that they need someone to oversee their PR before things go public.

They already do in terms of your omniscient prescence here on the boards because you seem to speak on behalf of everything for CGC all the time.  :baiting:   lol

Edited by lou_fine

I'm subscribed to ComicToms youtube channel (ComicTom posted the vid to facebook) ComicTom's youtube channel is great channel, check it out.

I love how passionate Tom and all his guests are when talking comics.

They tackle ALL topics, so I'm actually pretty shocked Tom hasn't addressed the fallout from the video he took on his youtube channel.  I wonder if CGC asked him to keep any youtube discussion about this incident on the downlow.

Or, maybe Tom will have a new video on this topic coming up really soon.

I'd really like to hear Tom's comments.  Perhaps he could help illuminate the moments before the video started.....maybe the Supe 1 was examined for weaknesses in the spine before the page count started, or any other illumination of prepagecount examination.

Edited by gadzukes