• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'm subscribed to ComicToms youtube channel (ComicTom posted the vid to facebook) ComicTom's youtube channel is great channel, check it out.

I love how passionate Tom and all his guests are when talking comics.

They tackle ALL topics, so I'm actually pretty shocked Tom hasn't addressed the fallout from the video he took on his youtube channel.  I wonder if CGC asked him to keep any youtube discussion about this incident on the downlow.

Or, maybe Tom will have a new video on this topic coming up really soon.

I'd really like to hear Tom's comments.  Perhaps he could help illuminate the moments before the video started.....maybe the Supe 1 was examined for weaknesses in the spine before the page count started, or any other illumination of prepagecount examination.

yeah I watched some of his videos and I liked them as well.

My favorite part of the video is when he finishes counting he puts the book down and does this thing with his hands as if to say “Tah-dah!”  Yes, it was truly magical the way his page-counting made my sphincter clench. 

But I think this video is simply forcing me to confront a reality that I know but push to the back of my mind when I send my comics to complete strangers.  Basically, it’s “I love to eat bacon but I don’t want to know how bacon is made”. 

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I think this video is simply forcing me to confront a reality that I know but push to the back of my mind when I send my comics to complete strangers.  Basically, it’s “I love to eat bacon but I don’t want to know how bacon is made”. 

This is SO true.

Edited by gadzukes

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I used to work for a Mercedes dealership as a technician and I was pretty good at it.

One of my favorite jobs was to replace an AC Evaporator core in the 140 model (this was the flagship model sedan, with all the bells and whistles).

The job book time said it took around 20 hours to do and it entailed gutting the entire interior of this flagship model car, right down to bare sheet metal on the interior. I'd pull out the front seats, dashboard, climate control, frame brace, carpeting, everything.

It took me about 1.5 hours do gut that interior down to bare sheet metal and maybe 10 or 12 to put it back together.

When customers saw their car gutted down to bare sheet metal, some would freak out, some would shake their heads in disbelief, many took pictures and all of them were terrified of how large the job was.

I didn't care a bit.

I'd done it so many times + and could almost do it with my eyes closed. My bosses trusted my ability to do the  repair implicitly even if customers couldn't believe their eyes. In fact, most of the other techs didn't want the job so I usually got it because of my experience with it.

So what appears intimidating or fearful to the average bystander is literally a non event to a professional.

There's a lot of mystique in the way we think things that we don't know much about are done in any field but most of the time it isn't nearly as glamorous as we imagine and often it's NOTHING like we think it is...and yet everything remains fine.

Incredible.  I'm always awed by mechanics and the casualness with which they pull things apart.

32 minutes ago, kav said:

Incredible.  I'm always awed by mechanics and the casualness with which they pull things apart.

A better way of saying it than 'casual; which makes it sound unprofessional (even though I know that's not what you meant) would be professionalism and being a professional is just a product of lots of experience. That's it.

Edited by VintageComics

After all of the negative feedback, a modern collector slowly realized he should have let emotions settle before submitting his book for inspection.

Edited by Domo Arigato

9 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

After all of the negative feedback, a modern collector slowly realized he should have let emotions settle before submitting his book for inspection.

Idiot! That was a newsstand copy of Catwoman #83! Argggh!!!

Why couldn't he have done it to a garbage book like Rai #9???

:cry:

10 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

that poor comic the victim of injustice... 

7 hours ago, Poka said:

the Voldy boards have a spy? 😁

There's a lot of shade thrown at CGC over there. It's a decent place to talk comics in general, but they've very... "Loyal"...

Of course, we call them "Voldy", but there are some very logical discussions about all things graded comics around here.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's a lot of shade thrown at CGC over there. It's a decent place to talk comics in general, but they've very... "Loyal"...

Of course, we call them "Voldy", but there are some very logical discussions about all things graded comics around here.

they're 

lol couldn't resist haha 

Oh and using your bare hands is the way to go when flipping through comics, I've never used gloves. Whether it's a $1 book or a 5 figure book doesnt matter (of course I'm extra careful when handling more valuable books). Just dont have shaky hands and sweaty palms lol

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, such logical discussions we have here. LOL!

20200304_182412.jpg