• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

I don’t recall if I read a comment that CGC does not use gloves for grading or if it was a comment from CGC. If it was CGC, I have no idea why they have a picture showing gloves; unless their policy had changed? Or they are CYA right now. 

It was for show:gossip:

21 hours ago, Primetime said:

I suspect many collectors that prefer to use gloves when handling comics are newer collectors that may be nervous or new to handling books and are used to slabs. 

Some of the best times I've ever had at a convention was when we got together and looked at high grade, GA and SA books with our bare hands.

It was a room of seasoned collectors and nobody flinched at handling the books. I'd say it's a safe bet that the books in the same condition after our handling them as they were before .

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Some of the best times I've ever had at a convention was when we got together and looked at high grade, GA and SA books with our bare hands.

It was a room of seasoned collectors and nobody flinched at handling the books. I'd say it's a safe bet that the books in the same condition after our handling them as they were before .

(thumbsu

30 minutes ago, greggy said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

I don’t recall if I read a comment that CGC does not use gloves for grading or if it was a comment from CGC. If it was CGC, I have no idea why they have a picture showing gloves; unless their policy had changed? Or they are CYA right now. 

It was for show:gossip:

I figured, as handling a comic with gloves is fine for looking at front and back covers but you can’t take it out of the bag and board nor flip through pages with gloves. However, even for show, it sends the wrong message if that’s what people expect and are paying for and that’s not what’s happening.

Overall, my 2 cents on the video (FWIW): Talk about a water bottle, no gloves, bending the comic too much, how the pages were turned, etc. A lot of “this could have happened doing it that way” or “if that cap came unscrewed and spilled all over” — but none of that did happen. This was a comic evaluation where a valuable comic was evaluated and came out the same condition it went in. 

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

This was a comic evaluation where a valuable comic was evaluated and came out the same condition it went in. 

If I let you win the argument that this comic came out exactly the same condition that it went in, can you tell me this..... if the next 200 GA comics are "page counted" in exactly the same way, can you guarantee ALL 200 come out in exactly the same condition as when they went in, if handled in the same manner?  From what I saw, I don't think I could make that guarantee.  I think perhaps 1, 2, or even 3 of the next 200 GA comics have a chance at some damage if they have a similar crease as what we saw with the Supe 1.

Fragile cover creases in the corner of an 80 year old comic should not be bent over when handling IMO.  Covers can be curled (just like he did), but creases should't be bent over. Every time a crease like that gets bent over, the fibers get a tiny bit weaker.  If you bend them 1 too many times, God forbid... they can pop off.  It didn't happen this time, but this was only the page count.  What if the 3 graders who handle this comic next all bend that same corner back and forth when examining?  And inner pages are usually weaker (or possibly slightly brittle) at the edges/corners of the page.  I know we're being very critical here, but it simply looked a teeny bit careless when he got to the last couple pages and optics are everything when you're the leading comic book grading company showing a video of how you handle a $100,000+ comic.

Edited by gadzukes

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

If I let you win the argument that this comic came out exactly the same condition that it went in, can you tell me this..... if the next 200 GA comics are "page counted" in exactly the same way, can you guarantee ALL 200 come out in exactly the same condition as when they went in, if handled in the same manner?  From what I saw, I don't think I could make that guarantee.  I think perhaps 1, 2, or even 3 of the next 200 GA comics have a chance at some damage if they have a similar crease as what we saw with the Supe 1.

Fragile cover creases in the corner of an 80 year old comic should not be bent over when handling IMO.  Covers can be curled (just like he did), but creases should't be bent over. Every time a crease like that gets bent over, the fibers get a tiny bit weaker.  If you bend them 1 too many times, God forbid... they can pop off.  It didn't happen this time, but this was only the page count.  What if the 3 graders who handle this comic next all bend that same corner back and forth when examining?  And inner pages are usually weaker (or possibly slightly brittle) at the edges/corners of the page.  I know we're being very critical here, but it simply looked a teeny bit careless when he got to the last couple pages and optics are everything when you're the leading comic book grading company showing a video of how you handle a $100,000+ comic.

Did you miss the part in the video where at least twice the grader slowed down as soon as there was a page sticking to address it?

I think I'm going to side with the company that has graded 5 Million comic books rather than a bunch of random comments on the internet.

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Did you miss the part in the video where at least twice the grader slowed down as soon as there was a page sticking to address it?

I think I'm going to side with the company that has graded 5 Million comic books rather than a bunch of random comments on the internet.

I definitely caught it.  Well done.  (I'm surprised the owner of the book didn't catch that and have it addressed).

Did you miss the part where the grader bent the lower corner back further than he probably should have?   Yeah, I'm probably over reacting.  That bend may not have done any damage at all.... probably none, but like I've said before, the optics were not ideal there.

I too am going to side with the company that has graded 5 Million comic books.  I have no problem sending my books to them and will continue to do so,  but maybe I'll question their Social Media for letting that vid go out.

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/4/2020 at 9:35 PM, Primetime said:

Same here. I need to feel the book and try to assess with feel if any glue, solvent cleaning to cover. Need bare fingertips to activate those sensory nerves (thumbsu  Many seasoned collectors are quite comfortable handling vintage books having been around in the “raw in Mylar” days prior to third party grading. I suspect many collectors that prefer to use gloves when handling comics are newer collectors that may be nervous or new to handling books and are used to slabs. 

Absolutely. I picked up a raw Marvel Mystery at a con and, by touch, I immediately knew it had been reglossed. This is something that I might have missed if I wore gloves.  These youngsters need to take a breath and feeeel the book! :preach: