• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

I see nothing wrong with the handling of the book.

It's kind of comical to tell a company who has handled millions of comic books that they don't know how to handle a comic book.

i highly doubt this will affect the submissions to CGC. Anyone who is actually experienced in handling comics would not be perturbed by the video. I trust the guy who handles these types of books everyday - not the guy who has most likely never handled a book like that one and felt the need to be outraged on facebook.

People just like to complain.

I agree.  Someone experienced with handling comics, even a superman 1, knows what they are doing. In this case, with a 2.0 book, any small incidental damage to it doesn’t affect the grade anyway.  From CGCs eyes thats what’s most important. And in our grade conscious hobby, all the owner cares about too.

also, as many have learned, for all the improved books people score on, there are also some that go down in grade.  Nature of the beast. I am confident that if serious damage occurred, GC would work out a settlement. 

My guess is CGC didn’t realize how insane, unyielding, and paranoid a certain segment of the collecting population is. 

so I agree that posting this video has done them no good, but that isn’t their fault at all. 

And taking it down at this point would be worse, IMO.  Stand by their experience and methods, even in the face of an onslaught of insanity. 

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Matt Nelson hands!

Yes, I confirmed it. He checked my books last Friday.  The hours are 11-1pm per day for free evaluation.  Last Friday I was the first person in the line - only five people in line.  I am not sure about Saturday and Sunday that are usually overcrowded.

Edited by JollyComics

Comictom101 was a guest, in charge of CGC's social media for the convention - I'm sure because he has a fairly large online following. This was likely done for them to both get publicity to their respective fans.  The post was written by and assumingly posted by him as well. I wonder how much CGC was consulted before posting it.   

Personally I don't have much of a problem with how the book was handled to get the page count. I would imagine the book was carefully inspected just before this for overall grade and structure, as we only saw the very last step. We saw one specific angle and lighting can dramatize. I didn't see any specific damage done. It's easy to freeze a frame and look at it subjectively. 

As for the water bottle - it's a closed bottle, at a safe distance. Not the ideal choice of placement, but it's definitely not crossing any line of carelessness. 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

My guess is CGC didn’t realize how insane, unyielding, and paranoid a certain segment of the collecting population is. 

so I agree that posting this video has done them no good, but that isn’t their fault at all. 

And taking it down at this point would be worse, IMO.  Stand by their experience and methods, even in the face of an onslaught of insanity. 

this is upon which their entire business is based.

People are forgetting he was not grading the book he was giving a page count/free eval with the owner present.
There is no indication this is how he approaches the grading process with GA books and a paying customer.
The statement that CGC does not allow water bottles during grading still stands unchallenged.

Edited by kav