• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showmasters London Comic Con Spring 01.03.20 (with added 27/02/22 Update!)
3 3

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So there we have it.

My last trip to one of these types of shows. The comic content is negligible, but we know that now really don't we. I came away with nothing, as expected.

I swear the majority of the photos here are more or less identical to the last report I did. 

This picture tells it's own story - taken at 11:30am this morning:

20200301_105606.thumb.jpg.5f5800c721c1aa8fed77f8f8a96e9674.jpg 

I go because I have this little dream that some new bloke will be there with his vast array of old comics.

But it's the same small group with the same old comics. The attendee's have fun, don't get me wrong. Dressing up, mucking about with their mates. That must be great fun and I do envy the younger generation for having these fun days out to attend. 

But that's it from me now on these events. 

And a break from the boards too I think is long overdue. I know I get on everyone's nerves and besides, the place has become ever so dull lately. Maybe a break will do us all good.

Be seeing you...

971681270_PrisonerBeSeeingYou.gif.9ab391a23b99cbeebc4563dd20f38eda.gif

Probably the Snowflake virus had an impact on attendees and yeah, Comic Cons aren't places for comic collectors any more.

Enjoy your hiatus but just like Number Six you can never truly escape. :wink:

giphy.gif

• Administrator

@Get Marwood & I have you visited the London Comic Mart? While it is a much smaller, one day show it caters to comic collectors specifically. Not to mention that you will not encounter a queue to enter. **Bonus** it is within walking distance of our London Office. 

https://londoncomicmart.co.uk/

On 3/2/2020 at 2:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

20200301_102545.thumb.jpg.c3aa5c8c588ab124bfc8769a22bfcda3.jpg

"Hulk like Hulk toys. Hulk toys mean kids can play with Hulk. Duff up other toys. But if Hulk toy owner should take Hulk toys pants off, and leave Hulk toy with Hulk toys arse hanging out, then Hulk will SMASH!Hulk.gif.3ae3d41a5d9df9a12661e72ab9ee405c.gif

OK, never doing the Hulk thing again, having had it ignored for coming up to 3 years now. 

"Duff up other toys".

Well, the cat's out of the bag now. I knew my secret shame would be discovered at some point and it is a relief in many ways. I would like to place on record that Duff doesn't "up" just any toys. "Mint in Package" playthings are, of course, beyond the pale.

18 hours ago, Matt G said:

@Get Marwood & I have you visited the London Comic Mart? While it is a much smaller, one day show it caters to comic collectors specifically. Not to mention that you will not encounter a queue to enter. **Bonus** it is within walking distance of our London Office. 

https://londoncomicmart.co.uk/

Hello Matt,

Yes, We've been there once or three hundred times over the past 30 years. Here's an old report of mine if you find yourself near to tedium at any point:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/411880-marvel-uk-price-variants/?do=findComment&comment=9828039

I would pop in to the CGC offices for some slabbing activity but your grading team refuse to recognise rare interior misprints! The rotters...

:)

8 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

It looks like a terrible event, but great thread. @Get Marwood & I 

Cheers Comicopolis. I preferred my previous reports. This one felt very samey and lacking anything cool to report. Even the cosplayers were underwhelming. Maybe it was the weather.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, bane said:

Where was this held?

Sorry Bane, I missed your post. It was at London Olympia. It was half the size of the last one I went to and didn't take long to navigate alas. 

On 3/1/2020 at 3:53 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Anxious to see the obligatory cosplay sweeties lol 🤗🤗🥰🥰🍷🍷

Your wish is my command Fog

20200301_102348.thumb.jpg.f6b915c08d2255dbaf8e6d823b0e64d4.jpg

I said, I ain't payin' no ten pee to get into no toilet cubicle.

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello Matt,

Yes, We've been there once or three hundred times over the past 30 years. Here's an old report of mine if you find yourself near to tedium at any point:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/411880-marvel-uk-price-variants/?do=findComment&comment=9828039

I would pop in to the CGC offices for some slabbing activity but your grading team refuse to recognise rare interior misprints! The rotters...

:)

When I went in the 90s, the Royal National was pretty much all comics. It still looks like it would be much, much better than the recent, supposedly larger conventions you attended, such as MCM.

I just wonder how much it’s changed there over the last few years?

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I see younger collector's buying newer book.....as you might expect. New Silver/ Bronze stock getting much thinner on the ground 2c

8 hours ago, rakehell said:
On 3/1/2020 at 3:53 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Anxious to see the obligatory cosplay sweeties lol 🤗🤗🥰🥰🍷🍷

Your wish is my command Fog

20200301_102348.thumb.jpg.f6b915c08d2255dbaf8e6d823b0e64d4.jpg

I said, I ain't payin' no ten pee to get into no toilet cubicle.

0% to landfill! :grin:

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

When I went in the 90s, the Royal National was pretty much all comics. It still looks like it would be much, much better than the recent, supposedly larger conventions you attended, such as MCM.

I'll take some pictures at the next one Paul. It's still the only comic gig in town worth attending. Mostly the same old sellers with the same old stuff but occasionally, a newbie, and for a brief second, excitement. CGC were there in the corner of the 'add on' room last time, which rarely opens. And there's a lot of those Funko things there now too. If it wasn't for one quarter of the Beatles turning up each time, I'd probably knock it on the head.

hm

Who am I kidding.... I'll likely be the last one out when it finally folds. 

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll take some pictures at the next one Paul. It's still the only comic gig in town worth attending. Mostly the same old sellers with the same old stuff but occasionally, a newbie, and for a brief second, excitement. CGC were there in the corner of the 'add on' room last time, which rarely opens. And there's a lot of those Funko things there now too. If it wasn't for one quarter of the Beatles turning up each time, I'd probably knock it on the head.

hm

Who am I kidding.... I'll likely be the last one out when it finally folds. 

It's nearer to 1 1/2 Beatles, as in addition to Paul McCartney, (Peter) Lennon is also often there.  And it is not unusual to also see the actual Mick Jones from The Clash & Big Audio Dynamite shuffling around the place as well.  

12 minutes ago, Whizzer said:

It's nearer to 1 1/2 Beatles, as in addition to Paul McCartney, (Peter) Lennon is also often there.  And it is not unusual to also see the actual Mick Jones from The Clash & Big Audio Dynamite shuffling around the place as well.  

Paul Gambaccini used to be a regular too. Unmistakable voice 

13 minutes ago, Whizzer said:

And it's not unusual to also see the actual Mick Tom Jones shuffling around the place as well. 

Repaired that for you :bigsmile: