• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a few Investment ideas for books to buy
1 1

53 posts in this topic

What are some of your favorite ideas for books to purchase that are still within reach to buy today, that have the greatest potential for price appreciation over the next 2,3, and 5 years? My budget is between $500-$2,000 per book. 

Much appreciated. I already have a large position in the stock market, but looking for some diversification outside the market, in something I can have more control over. Comics make it more fun because their tangible. I have a high grade Journey Into Mystery 83, and an FF1 in 7.0 condition both with blue labels. Would you recommend holding for now, or is the silver age Marvel market peeking and bubbly?

4 hours ago, fishpaul said:

but looking for some diversification outside the market, in something I can have more control over.

If you feel like you have more control over comic value fluctuations, I bow in awe.  Isn't it easier to move stocks than comics?

Tangible- yes.  Control -not so much. 

On 3/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, fishpaul said:

Much appreciated. I already have a large position in the stock market, but looking for some diversification outside the market, in something I can have more control over. Comics make it more fun because their tangible. I have a high grade Journey Into Mystery 83, and an FF1 in 7.0 condition both with blue labels. Would you recommend holding for now, or is the silver age Marvel market peeking and bubbly?

If you are looking purely at them as assets, then I would sell JIM 83 but keep FF 1. Those characters have not even started in the MCU yet. Speaking of which, get yourself an FF 5. It will be too late to own a copy soon. 2000$ should get you an ok copy.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, fishpaul said:

I have a great position in JIM as well. I go to read it when I'm really getting sad about the market. 

Maybe selling drugs to preschoolers? They make lousy witnesses in court. Ask Soupy Sales. 

On 3/1/2020 at 12:48 PM, William-James88 said:

If you have that kind of money now you are best to put it in the S&P. With the massive market crisis right now, invedting in there will probably give you more growth than any comic.

But if you want a comic, go for She Hulk 1, Mister Miracle 1, Forever People 1 and New Gods 1 in the best shape you can find. 

well, given the market reaction to lowering interest rates today, I think a cash position right now is a pretty solid plan. The bottom may be something in the future.  Preserve your capital. It's all that's left you. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 3/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, fishpaul said:

I would hold both of those books. The FF has yet to be realized in the MCU and the next Thor movie has potential to build on the success of Thor: Ragnarok with most of the creative personnel returning (that movie was just sooo good). In a way it's disappointing that the movies are driving my argument 90% here but the movies are what is responsible for the influx of $$$ into the market and creating more demand and stability. Combined with the fact that both books are - and will remain - megakeys - make these a solid "HOLD" in my opinion. And if you have any way of trading up to get your hands on a Hulk #1 I would encourage it. 

Also, as mentioned above She-Hulk #1! And perhaps the first couple of Subby appearances in the FF. I can't speak to the Fourth World books mentioned above as I am still wary of DC due to their track record and the hard to shake public perception of them being a "second fiddle" to the MCU.

Just my 2c Not looking for debate or trolls. This is just my "riff" on the situation.

Edited by Kramerica

if your doing 500$ - 2000$ and want to flip fast you can try your hand in the modern spec market and flip quickly I know the Punchline book was a hot book of the week last week.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, Glassman10 said:

If you have a large position in the markets, I'm betting it's smaller than it was last week. 

I think legalized grass is a good bet. 

Way too much government over regulation and one of the primary reasons why these stocks have dropped about 80% from their highs of about 18 months ago on the eve of legalization.  :gossip:

In fact, as can be seen in Canada where grass has now been legalized, the black market is now stronger than ever with the government stepping in and putting in roadblocks to the point of strangling the entire industry and virtually bringing the entire legalized sector to a standstill.  So, instead of eliminating the black market which was their intention with the whole legalization plan, they have completely bungled it to the point of helping the black market grow and flourish like never before.  doh!

8 minutes ago, Bob Troub said:

Don't buy low grade books.....for investment purposes.....

why?