• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preview: How to create an Art Gallery for your OA in a virtual world
1 1

13 posts in this topic

See latest posts in this thread for updates.

guest9.thumb.png.4bb051775af2340a7245e654dfc3a5d9.png

werewolfgirlDCLHowTo3.thumb.png.fce524b1322335848215bf1ef373ff02.png

Pretty awestruck by the quality that's retained.  Can do a quick writeup in case there's interest... for now, here are pics showing my progress.

The only apps I used = Decentraland and Vectary.  Not affiliated with either except as a user; got into Decentraland a few days ago out of curiosity, plenty of press on it if you'd like to read up.

I'm *not* a dev, either.  This is all doable by anyone with marginal "computer sense."  Only catch is you do need to purchase or rent a LAND parcel from an owner in Decentraland, which requires some crypto (Ether for your MetaMask wallet and MANA, the in-world currency).  But I can cover that later. 

Devs can even implement QR codes... and oh, the other possibilities.  AR, VR, you name it.

werewolfgirlDCLHowTo.thumb.png.33c2ba32c6fed65524fb583463ddefdb.pngwerewolfgirlDCLHowTo2.thumb.png.eed9a8a6b9782c1d2aca211d1ce531c9.pngwerewolfgirlDCL2.thumb.png.e3013eb311d300229ec69cf90e28b89b.png

Edited by exitmusicblue

P.S. If virtual worlds like these become sufficiently populated (4000 individual users participated in DCL's public opening last week), this could really help with the future of the hobby.  Folks with zero relation to OA walking by some of our favorite pieces, with explanations, ads, etc. also included at will.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

P.S. If virtual worlds like these become sufficiently populated (4000 individual users participated in DCL's public opening last week), this could really help with the future of the hobby.  Folks with zero relation to OA walking by some of our favorite pieces, with explanations, ads, etc. also included at will.

Wow this looks very promising. Grapeape needs to take a closer look. I see potential.

Thanks for posting and of course

2 + 2 = 5 and don’t eat any fake plastic trees!!!!

🍇 🦍

8 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Wow this looks very promising. Grapeape needs to take a closer look. I see potential.

Thanks for posting and of course

2 + 2 = 5 and don’t eat any fake plastic trees!!!!

🍇 🦍

Bwahahaha salute grape + ape !  And Radiohead reference to boot  :D  Just a Street Spirit, Fading Out...

Edited by exitmusicblue

2 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Bwahahaha salute grape + ape !  And Radiohead reference to boot  :D  Just a Street Spirit, Fading Out...

Haha. Expect a Gene scowl soon

:facepalm:

Things have escalated.  : )  Fwiw the guest liked the Fritz "Werewolf & Girl" best, haha.  And yes, that's a Shelby Cobra in the background, because hell I won't be owning a real one any time soon.

That art floating atop is the only piece that I don't physically own -- it's a NFT, or non-fungible token.  Won't get into the details here, but gaming companies take note... the future is coming.

Update: The grandson of Jose Delbo (past artist on Batman, Supes, etc.) just contacted me, having seen my Decentraland gallery.  So cool.  If anyone here ends up joining, his username is Clarkkent.  

land9.png

land10.png

land11.png

land12.png

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 3/1/2020 at 1:35 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Pretty awestruck by the quality that's retained.  Can do a quick writeup in case there's interest... for now, here are pics showing my progress.

The only apps I used = Decentraland and Vectary.  Not affiliated with either except as a user; got into Decentraland a few days ago out of curiosity, plenty of press on it if you'd like to read up.

I'm *not* a dev, either.  This is all doable by anyone with marginal "computer sense."  Only catch is you do need to purchase or rent a LAND parcel from an owner in Decentraland, which requires some crypto (Ether for your MetaMask wallet and MANA, the in-world currency).  But I can cover that later. 

Devs can even implement QR codes... and oh, the other possibilities.  AR, VR, you name it.

I'd be interested in reading a quick write-up as to what can be done and how much it costs. hm 

I long for the days when people were satisfied with putting a digital frame on their desk or wall, and letting the art flip like a slideshow.

We could collectively make fun of them, and talk about how looking at a digital pic is silly (hang the damn art).  :idea:

Now it's all virtual world galleries, with sketches the size of the castle front door, and people in digital red socks wandering around.
I've been trying to look at screens less, not more. Just over the screen I'm looking at now, Sandman pages. To the left and to the right. I'm surrounded by the stuff. And no special glasses. And it'll always look that cool.

No, other folks can't see it, and I get the idea. Back in the 90s I too had a webpage for sharing my comic art with others. The virtual thing is just a refresh of that idea. Cool.

In the not too distant future, it'll seem as cutting edge as

top-10-worst-90s-website-designs-3.png

p.s. anybody that didn't watch Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica spinoff, it delved pretty heavily into virtual worlds of the future. Makes me curious how it's aged, only 10 years out.

Edited by ESeffinga

UPDATE:  Progress very good.  The Gallery is now in the official schedule of the CoinFest 2020 conference (virtual this year):

See April 3 under "Description": https://eventchain.io/event-details/37640881089839455f9bac2126962c24

Thereby exposing to OA hundreds of generally younger folks, many of whom likely haven't known of its existence but -- I predict -- will find it cool.

Gallery Twitter's pinned post has been retweeted by one of the largest crypto/digital art exchanges.  There are three -- SuperRare, KnownOrigin, and MakersPlace.  Feel free to check 'em out when bored.  

guest9.thumb.png.43f542f96814a0175028642fbd8c082d.png

Edited by exitmusicblue