• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO’s the outsider

28 posts in this topic

Is anyone watching this? If not, I highly recommend starting. Think first season of true detective meets Stephen King.

Fantastic story and acting. It’s a 10 part anthology And the finale is Sunday so you have a week to catch up.

Edited by quadman78

A fantastic mini series based on an intense and scary story.

I was listening to the audio book as part of a 9-hour drive this past week. And being Stephen King describing every little detail, I still have more discs to listen to.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

A fantastic mini series based on an intense and scary story.

I was listening to the audio book as part of a 9-hour drive this past week. And being Stephen King describing every little detail, I still have more discs to listen to.

I don’t want to read the book until the series finishes, but definitely going to check it out after

4 hours ago, quadman78 said:

I don’t want to read the book until the series finishes, but definitely going to check it out after

They've changed so much from the book I don't know why they even bothered using the same title.

Both the wife and I really enjoyed the book but it's been a struggle to get through eight episodes so far. Most of it has been at a snail's pace.

31 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

The wife and I are liking this series, but I have heard it’s a bit different from the book. Watching this past weeks ep now. 

Spoiler

The ending of that one made me wish it was a Netflix or amazon show so I could just jump to the final episode.

Cutting deep into cable viewership on Sunday night, the wound on Cynthia Erivo’s character’s arm in the mid-credits scene of the finale of The Outsider was just the latest but surely not last twist in the tale of the HBO miniseries based on Stephen King’s 2018 novel.

Coming in with a season high of 1.37 million viewers for its 9 PM first run airing on March 8, the Richard Price penned 10th episode of the Ben Mendelsohn, Marc Menchaca and Jason Bateman co-starrer capped a run that saw the horror crime drama top another record, of sorts. With the first nine episodes of the Media Rights Capital produced Outsider averaging 9 million viewers on combined platforms, the mini is aiming to be have the best overall run of an HBO drama since the soon-to-be returning Westworld debuted back in the ancient era of 2015.

In fact, with the finale up 16% in first run numbers from the previous high of March 1’s penultimate episode, the 2.2 million that the end of Season 1 of The Outsider had from its two telecasts plus HBO Now and HBO GO is also a high for the series.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, quadman78 said:

Is anyone watching this? If not, I highly recommend starting. Think first season of true detective meets Stephen King.

Fantastic story and acting. It’s a 10 part anthology And the finale is Sunday so you have a week to catch up.

And just like the first season of True Detective, a disappointing ending. 

Spoiler

As this scratch has throughout the show been a sign that El Cuco is able to take someone's form, this suggests that either Holly has had another encounter with El Cuco after she left Ralph, or alternatively that the Holly we have seen all this time was not the real one after all.

Spoiler

Some are saying possibly, the Holly we saw wasnt the real Holly and the mid credit scene was actually earlier in the series. 

1 hour ago, johnenock said:

Great until the end, but I did like the way they left the story open for new cases.

I have to agree, for the most party they did a solid job with the show. Though that finale could have been much stronger.

Now that I am pretty far along with the audio book, I see what some are noting as a big deviation from the source material. There are parts of the book I like much better (e.g. Ralph reflecting on someone he saw at the courthouse shooting; when Holly reveals her research with the group, there is more information-sharing from Ralph and Alex not shown in the TV series). But the intensity and horror of the majority of the show was spot-on.

The last episode was the only half decent one in the whole series.

They managed to butcher the book and deliver it at a snail's pace. Imagine someone picking up a book by Stephen King and then saying - I know how to make this better. We'll ditch 90% of it. And then get Dennis Lehane involved.