• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate conservation - Mylars vs Slabs?

6 posts in this topic

As I've been going through my collection of comics, finally replacing polybags + regular boards and going completely Mylars + Fullbacks for all books both past and future, I was reading the How much does slabbing add to actual value of non keys? thread and I started thinking:

Isn't the logical conclusion of comics conservation to have everything in Slabs? Even just-released issues? Does anyone even do this, as it is such a costly endeavor? 

I've been looking at getting better versions of the McFarlane AMS run, but considering all the care I will have to put into conserving them so that degradation is minimal over the storage time (and Mylars go a long way but aren't the only factor), and also considering that the older the book the harder it will be to find good versions (ideally NM) that upgrade the ones I have, wouldn't getting the entire run in slabs be the ultimate way of having them in my collection and not worry about conservation over time while keeping value high?

Welcome To the Boards!!!

Since nobody has responded to your question...

A CGC slab does not offer any more protection to a comic book than a Mylite with an Acid Free Board other than it can never be touched again, slabs are not "Hermetically Sealed" and do not offer any UV Protection.

Both CGC slabs and Raw books stored in a Mylite need to be stored in the same conditions or they will sustain damage/deterioration over time, A Controlled Environment/Temperature/Humidity away from All UV Light, Heat Sources and Water. Books slabbed or raw should not be stored in an attic, unfinished basement or garage

Sometimes people talk about comics like they are going to wither away to dust if stored improperly.

Thing is, bag and board and store upright in a cool, dry, dark place. That is it. Every decade or two (or somewhere in between), maybe replace boards. It's what I try to do. And if some of the bags look like there could be issues, replace too. For the most part, you can get bags and boards that hold up a long time and won't hurt the comics.

What you don't want is lots of light constantly on them or humid temps. Major fluxes in temperature, if endured over time, can cause problems. I live in Northern Canada, so I know cold winters, humid summers and how you can go from a -10 degree day to a 5 degree day overnight. That kind of flux constantly can cause harm.

As for grading, your books are really only protected from more human damage issues. Handling, potential to rip or tear, potential to stain. A book can still get worse if you leave a CGC comic in direct light or if you store in poor conditions. They are not waterproof or vaccum sealed so after 100 years, the paper can start to turn colour. The White pages label you received may no longer be so but again, that is a loooonnngg way away.

Finally, about slabbing non key issues. Does it add value? Sure. But let's say you have a raw copy of a book that only costs $5. You likely are spending $40 to grade it. If it comes back anything but a high 9 grade (9.4-9.8), you are likely to have lost money. A CGC 8.0 might appeal to someone, but not for $40+, not when they can get it raw for $5. I would only ever recommend slabbing books of value or rarity or significance to you (maybe you just have a book you love and want it graded an encased). But in terms of it being a better storage method and preservation method, I would say no.

I mean, I have copies worth $5 I maybe handle once every couple years. Could I rip a page reading or something? Sure. But its a $5 book. I would rather read it. And if, over the course of my life, it goes from being an 8.0 to a 7.0 because of time, I don't care.