• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Peter G said:

Wow, at least two of those covers are coming out of the same mega-BSD collection. 

The Red Sonja #1 cover is very cool, but, having had a chance to see most of the Marvel Feature v. 2 and Red Sonja v. 1 covers at Illustration House 5 years ago, there were actually several that I thought looked better in person than the #1 (so, count me out for that one). 

Apparently the third cover above that I wasn't sure about had been consigned recently to a good friend of this mega-BSD, so, it may very well be from the same collection as well. I'm told that a 4th cover in the previews also hails from the same collection. 

Edited by delekkerste

11 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The Red Sonja #1 cover is very cool, but, having had a chance to see most of the Marvel Feature v. 2 and Red Sonja v. 1 covers at Illustration House 5 years ago, there were actually several that I thought looked better in person than the #1 (so, count me out for that one). 

It's a busy cover which, without colors, somewhat mutes Sonja ... but still, that is one of the most recognizable covers in comic book history.

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

. but still, that is one of the most recognizable covers in comic book history.

So...... we are talking about red sonja 1 right?   Most recognizable in history?    Are we talking the history of the month in which it was released? :insane:

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

It's a busy cover which, without colors, somewhat mutes Sonja

busy, and garishly colored.  wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't one piece that looked better in b&w

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Wow, at least two of those covers are coming out of the same mega-BSD collection. 

Apparently the third cover above that I wasn't sure about had been consigned recently to a good friend of this mega-BSD, so, it may very well be from the same collection as well. I'm told that a 4th cover in the previews also hails from the same collection. 

I remember my dad drove me to 7-11 one day for some reason and I came home with Spec Spidey 132 on that trip.   Fun memories.   Would love that cover but I'm sure it will go for way more than I'd pay.

Looking at the date of release, I guess I was 11 and almost 12 at the time, making it one of my first english language comic book purchases.    I guess that must be why I recall buying it so clearly.

Edited by Bronty

10 hours ago, jaykza said:

The Zeck spidey cover was available for quite some time at 60 or 65k. Any projections for the auction? Over/under? 

Doesn't seem that horrible to me, so I'll say a bit over.   (I'm very biased though having it been, as I say, a childhood purchase).     I suspect the fact its not the flagship title drags it down a bit.

47 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Doesn't seem that horrible to me, so I'll say a bit over.   (I'm very biased though having it been, as I say, a childhood purchase).     I suspect the fact its not the flagship title drags it down a bit.

The Zeck SSM #131 cover sold for $33k at HA in Nov 2017. This is obviously a better cover, but is it double? I had it pegged around $40k - 50k. Given that SSM #132 sat at $60k for that long, between the two seems about right. But we've seen plenty of pieces languish on a dealer site only to get wrapped up higher with bidders caught up in auction fever. 

30 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

The Zeck SSM #131 cover sold for $33k at HA in Nov 2017. This is obviously a better cover, but is it double? I had it pegged around $40k - 50k. Given that SSM #132 sat at $60k for that long, between the two seems about right. But we've seen plenty of pieces languish on a dealer site only to get wrapped up higher with bidders caught up in auction fever. 

all valid points, but I think it gets there.   I could be wrong and I'm certainly biased.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-ditko-strange-tales-117-story-page-5-doctor-strange-original-art-marvel-1964-andlt-/p/7229-85001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Interesting.  I'm kinda sorta bearish on where this will end up, but hey that's just one day into the complete societal economic collapse. Maybe things will be looking up in May.

Did the pages from this story vanish into a black hole or is the ownership of any of them known?

G

8 minutes ago, glendgold said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-ditko-strange-tales-117-story-page-5-doctor-strange-original-art-marvel-1964-andlt-/p/7229-85001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Interesting.  I'm kinda sorta bearish on where this will end up, but hey that's just one day into the complete societal economic collapse. Maybe things will be looking up in May.

Did the pages from this story vanish into a black hole or is the ownership of any of them known?

G

Cool, my interest in Strange Tales has been after #135, the earlier available issues (to me) were too pricey, low grade, or unavailable.  Maybe that is the attraction?  Probably issues printed ramped up at that point.  David

35 minutes ago, glendgold said:

G

Well, it may end up “reserve not met”, just like some of the more aspirational pieces in the Winter HA auction.  Talk about streeeeetch pricing.  Yeesh!

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Wow Wally Wood designs and introduces the double D D on Daredevils costume! Double D’s can certainly impact bidding interest!!

9AF88F04-CEB3-4380-AA17-AE46801FABD2.thumb.jpeg.74f1801542d72507c5ba84ebcf79d86f.jpeg

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

HA just upped the ante today with some great additions to their Spring Signature Auctions, including Ditko, Frazetta, Bolland, Wood, and several more!

Margin calls! 

Even more incredible art added to the upcoming HA Signature Auction, including a killer Ditko Hulk 6 battle page, a Brunner Marvel Premiere (Dr Strange) cover, Romita Sr ASM splash ("The Horns of the Rhino"), all in the 'Miscellaneous' section.

Also added yesterday, a Miller Dark Knight page, Johnny Craig Vault of Horror cover, and several Robert Crumb pieces.

Bidding starts in exactly one month so the deadline to consign for this auction should be coming to a close sometime this week, and with only ~120 lots, perhaps bidding will be fierce as there are less pieces to distract potential bidders?

Very interested to see how this plays out.

Thoughts? 

D-I-C-K O, feel free to include your price guestimates here, before the auction begins.

Edited by jjonahjameson11